all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and several windows
@ 2007-07-24 10:17 vincent.marguerit
From: vincent.marguerit @ 2007-07-24 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there!

I use Emacs under Mac OS X and I don't know how to open several
windows of Emacs, when I click on the Emacs icon it does not open me
another window it put the current Emacs window to the front.

Any idea ?

Thanks,
Vincent.

* Re: Emacs and several windows
@ 2007-07-24 10:33 ` Arjen Wiersma
From: Arjen Wiersma @ 2007-07-24 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

vincent.marguerit@gmail.com writes:

> I use Emacs under Mac OS X and I don't know how to open several
> windows of Emacs, when I click on the Emacs icon it does not open me
> another window it put the current Emacs window to the front.

Try

,----[ C-h f make-frame RET ]
| make-frame is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `frame.el'.
| (make-frame &optional parameters)
|
| Return a newly created frame displaying the current buffer.
| Optional argument parameters is an alist of parameters for the new frame.
| Each element of parameters should have the form (NAME . VALUE), for example:
|
|  (name . STRING)	The frame should be named STRING.
|
|  (width . NUMBER)	The frame should be NUMBER characters in width.
|  (height . NUMBER)	The frame should be NUMBER text lines high.
|
| You cannot specify either `width' or `height', you must use neither or both.
|
|  (minibuffer . t)	The frame should have a minibuffer.
|  (minibuffer . nil)	The frame should have no minibuffer.
|  (minibuffer . only)	The frame should contain only a minibuffer.
|  (minibuffer . WINDOW)	The frame should use WINDOW as its minibuffer window.
|
| Before the frame is created (via `frame-creation-function'), functions on the
| hook `before-make-frame-hook' are run.  After the frame is created, functions
| on `after-make-frame-functions' are run with one arg, the newly created frame.
|
| This function itself does not make the new frame the selected frame.
| The previously selected frame remains selected.  However, the
| window system may select the new frame for its own reasons, for
| instance if the frame appears under the mouse pointer and your
| setup is for focus to follow the pointer.
|
| [back]
`----

Regards,

Arjen

* Re: Emacs and several windows
@ 2007-07-24 10:51   ` poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2007-07-24 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Arjen Wiersma <core@credmp.org> writes:

> vincent.marguerit@gmail.com writes:
>
>> I use Emacs under Mac OS X and I don't know how to open several
>> windows of Emacs, when I click on the Emacs icon it does not open me
>> another window it put the current Emacs window to the front.
>
> Try
>
> ,----[ C-h f make-frame RET ]
> | make-frame is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `frame.el'.
> | (make-frame &optional parameters)
> | setup is for focus to follow the pointer.
> |
> | [back]
> `----

Hi, an off-topic question here.
I often see this kind of beautiful citation style
is it done by gnus? and how to?

Thanks,
poppyer

* Re: Emacs and several windows
@ 2007-07-24 11:10 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-07-24 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vincent.marguerit; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.07.2007 um 12:17 schrieb vincent.marguerit:

> Any idea ?

C-x 5 2			; make-frame-command

To delete it: C-x 5 0	; delete-frame

And please notice that these "windows" are called frames. Inside a
frame you can have more than one window (with C-x 2 or split-window-
vertically, or C-x 3 or split-window-horizontally).

--
Greetings

   Pete

“One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb
movies alone”
       (Amiri Baraka 1999)

* Re: Emacs and several windows
@ 2007-07-24 11:19     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-07-24 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

>> ,----[ C-h f make-frame RET ]
>> | make-frame is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `frame.el'.
>> | (make-frame &optional parameters)
>> | setup is for focus to follow the pointer.
>> |
>> | [back]
>> `----
>>

> Hi, an off-topic question here.
> I often see this kind of beautiful citation style is it done by gnus?
> and how to?

That's boxquote.el [1]

Bye,
Tassilo
__________
[1] http://www.davep.org/emacs/
--
      "OS's and GUI's come and go, only Emacs has lasting power."
          Per Abrahamsen in <rjbsysc7n1.fsf@zuse.dina.kvl.dk>

* Re: Emacs and several windows
@ 2007-07-24 11:25 ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2007-07-24 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

+ vincent.marguerit@gmail.com:

| I use Emacs under Mac OS X and I don't know how to open several
| windows of Emacs, when I click on the Emacs icon it does not open me
| another window it put the current Emacs window to the front.

C-x 5 2 should do it.  I am not sure if that works with the emacs
that's bundled with the mac, however.  I haven't used it in ages.

And if you look at emacs help, you will discover a terminology
mismatch: What is a window from the point of view of the OS is called
a "frame" in emacs.  Each frame can be divided into smaller
rectangles, which emacs calls windows.  This unfortunate state of the
terminology came about because emacs used windows (what /emacs/ calls
windows) long before the graphical user interface was popularized.

  -- Bertrand Russell

* Re: Emacs and several windows
@ 2007-07-24 11:38   ` vincent.marguerit
From: vincent.marguerit @ 2007-07-24 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 24 juil, 12:25, Harald Hanche-Olsen <han...@math.ntnu.no> wrote:
> + vincent.margue...@gmail.com:
>
> | I use Emacs under Mac OS X and I don't know how to open several
> | windows of Emacs, when I click on the Emacs icon it does not open me
> | another window it put the current Emacs window to the front.
>
> C-x 5 2 should do it.  I am not sure if that works with the emacs
> that's bundled with the mac, however.  I haven't used it in ages.
>
> And if you look at emacs help, you will discover a terminology
> mismatch: What is a window from the point of view of the OS is called
> a "frame" in emacs.  Each frame can be divided into smaller
> rectangles, which emacs calls windows.  This unfortunate state of the
> terminology came about because emacs used windows (what /emacs/ calls
> windows) long before the graphical user interface was popularized.
>
> --
> * Harald Hanche-Olsen     <URL:http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/>
> - It is undesirable to believe a proposition
>   when there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
>   -- Bertrand Russell

C-x 5 2 works fine, but it's strange, the new frame does not take my
settings from my .emacs file.

Any idea why ?

@ 2007-07-24 11:43     ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2007-07-24 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

+ vincent.marguerit@gmail.com:

| C-x 5 2 works fine, but it's strange, the new frame does not take my
| settings from my .emacs file.

What kind of settings?

  -- Bertrand Russell

* Re: Emacs and several windows
@ 2007-07-24 12:32       ` vincent.marguerit
From: vincent.marguerit @ 2007-07-24 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 24 juil, 12:43, Harald Hanche-Olsen <han...@math.ntnu.no> wrote:
> + vincent.margue...@gmail.com:
>
> | C-x 5 2 works fine, but it's strange, the new frame does not take my
> | settings from my .emacs file.
>
> What kind of settings?
>
> --
> * Harald Hanche-Olsen     <URL:http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/>
> - It is undesirable to believe a proposition
>   when there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
>   -- Bertrand Russell

I have this in my .emacs file:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'iso-accents-mode)
(set-terminal-coding-system 'latin-1)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'latin-1)
(set-language-environment 'latin-1)
(set-foreground-color "wheat")
(set-background-color "DarkSlateGray")
(set-cursor-color "white")
(menu-bar-mode -1)
(scroll-bar-mode -1)
(global-font-lock-mode 1)
(require 'php-mode)
(add-hook 'php-mode-user-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)
(add-hook 'php-mode-user-hook
'(lambda () (define-abbrev php-mode-abbrev-table "ex" "extends")))

@ 2007-07-24 15:31     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-07-24 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vincent.marguerit; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.07.2007 um 13:38 schrieb vincent.marguerit:

> C-x 5 2 works fine, but it's strange, the new frame does not take my
> settings from my .emacs file.
>
> Any idea why ?

Yes. Imagine (and compare and check and understand) these settings:

         (setq initial-frame-alist '(
           (mouse-color           . "midnightblue")
           (foreground-color      . "grey20")
           (background-color      . "alice blue")
           (internal-border-width . 2)
           (line-spacing          . 1)
           (active-alpha          . 0.875)
           (inactive-alpha        . 0.75)
           (font . "-*-*-medium-r-normal--10-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-
hiraginomin")
           (top . 25) (left . 650) (width . 91) (height . 50)))
         (setq default-frame-alist '(
           (border-color          . "#4e3831")
           (foreground-color      . "grey10")
           (background-color      . "ghost white")
           (vertical-scroll-bars  . left)
           (cursor-color          . "purple")
           (cursor-type           . box)
           (active-alpha          . 0.75)
           (inactive-alpha        . 0.875)
           (font . "-*-*-medium-r-normal--9-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-
hiraginokaku")
           (top . 50) (left . 150) (width . 89) (height . 56)))

--
Greetings

   Pete

Windows, c'est un peu comme le beaujolais nouveau: à chaque nouvelle
cuvée on sait que ce sera dégueulasse, mais on en prend quand même,
par masochisme.

* Re: Emacs and several windows
@ 2007-07-24 17:20         ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2007-07-24 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

+ vincent.marguerit@gmail.com:

| On 24 juil, 12:43, Harald Hanche-Olsen <han...@math.ntnu.no> wrote:
|> + vincent.margue...@gmail.com:
|>
|> | C-x 5 2 works fine, but it's strange, the new frame does not take my
|> | settings from my .emacs file.
|>
|> What kind of settings?
|>

| I have this in my .emacs file:
|
| (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'iso-accents-mode)
| (set-terminal-coding-system 'latin-1)
| (set-keyboard-coding-system 'latin-1)
| (set-language-environment 'latin-1)
| (set-foreground-color "wheat")
| (set-background-color "DarkSlateGray")
| (set-cursor-color "white")
| (menu-bar-mode -1)
| (scroll-bar-mode -1)
| (global-font-lock-mode 1)
| (require 'php-mode)
| (add-hook 'php-mode-user-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)
| (add-hook 'php-mode-user-hook
| '(lambda () (define-abbrev php-mode-abbrev-table "ex" "extends")))

And NONE of them work in your second frame?  I am unable to explain
that.  As far as the color commands go, yes.  See the documentation
for those commands and check the reply from Peter Dyballa.

  -- Bertrand Russell