all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
To: Sergei Kolomeeyets <kolomeeyets@gmail.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Tuningo f compile mode
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 20:13:58 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 17.07.2013 um 11:41 schrieb Sergei Kolomeeyets:

> When I press M-` or M-x compile Emacs split the main window vertically to
> show  a compile buffer. It is very inconvenient.

It is very convenient. I like it this way.

> How can I change it to horizontal splitting like C-x-1?

Horizontal splitting would occur when GNU Emacs' frame is wide enough that two buffers side by side are so wide that text can be displayed in reasonably long lines. So by default the variable split-width-threshold has a value greater than 100, could be it's 160. By reducing that value it becomes more likely that insanely narrow windows are created.

	split-width-threshold is a variable defined in `window.el'.

	Documentation:
	Minimum width for splitting windows sensibly.
	If this is an integer, `split-window-sensibly' may split a window
	horizontally only if it has at least this many columns.  If this
	is nil, `split-window-sensibly' is not allowed to split a window
	horizontally.

See also split-height-threshold.

--
Greetings

  Pete

If it dies, it's biology.  If it blows up, it's chemistry. If it doesn't work, it's physics.
			– University washroom sgraffito