all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Truncate long lines on 22.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.8.0)
@ 2005-05-05 22:38 Steven M. Scotten
From: Steven M. Scotten @ 2005-05-05 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm coming across strange behavior in 22.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.8.0)
on OS X 10.3.9. I'm used to "Truncate Long Lines" being disabled in my
emacses (what is the plural of emacs, anyhow? Nevermind) but no matter how
many times I enter M-x toggle-truncate-lines I still have the little arrows
pointing east and west, NOT the little curly arrow I'm used to. Of course,
no curly arrow means I also don't see the rest of my code that I'd rather
have in front of me than somewhere else on the screen.

The Messages buffer shows

Truncate long lines enabled
Truncate long lines disabled
Truncate long lines enabled
Truncate long lines disabled

As I expect that it should, but the behavior itself is not changing.

Is this a known problem? Googling yields a ton of instructions of how to
enter M-x toggle-truncate-lines but I haven't seen any other reports of
people having this problem.

Thanks,

Steve

* Or is it vertically split windows? (Was: Truncate long lines...)
@ 2005-05-05 23:08 ` Steven M. Scotten
From: Steven M. Scotten @ 2005-05-05 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, more information here: this only happens when I have the window split
vertically. For the moment I can work around this by opening a second frame,
but is this correct behavior or should I report this as a bug? I haven't
seen any mention that truncate-long-lines should be forced on when the
window is split vertically.

Steve

On 5/5/05 3:38 PM, in article BE9FEE65.3693%steve@tourcorp.com, "Steven M.
Scotten" <steve@tourcorp.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm coming across strange behavior in 22.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.8.0)
> on OS X 10.3.9. I'm used to "Truncate Long Lines" being disabled in my
> emacses (what is the plural of emacs, anyhow? Nevermind) but no matter how
> many times I enter M-x toggle-truncate-lines I still have the little arrows
> pointing east and west, NOT the little curly arrow I'm used to. Of course,
> no curly arrow means I also don't see the rest of my code that I'd rather
> have in front of me than somewhere else on the screen.
>
> The Messages buffer shows
>
> Truncate long lines enabled
> Truncate long lines disabled
> Truncate long lines enabled
> Truncate long lines disabled
>
> As I expect that it should, but the behavior itself is not changing.
>
> Is this a known problem? Googling yields a ton of instructions of how to
> enter M-x toggle-truncate-lines but I haven't seen any other reports of
> people having this problem.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Steve

* Re: Or is it vertically split windows?
@ 2005-05-05 23:35   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2005-05-05 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Steven M. Scotten" <steve@tourcorp.com> writes:

> OK, more information here: this only happens when I have the window
> split vertically. For the moment I can work around this by opening a
> second frame, but is this correct behavior or should I report this
> as a bug? I haven't seen any mention that truncate-long-lines should
> be forced on when the window is split vertically.

This is in fact so; see the variable `truncate-partial-width-windows'.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: Or is it vertically split windows?
@ 2005-05-06 17:40     ` Steven M. Scotten
From: Steven M. Scotten @ 2005-05-06 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/5/05 4:35 PM, in article yoijfyx1jleq.fsf@linus011.dd.chalmers.se,
"Johan Bockgård" <bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se> wrote:

> This is in fact so; see the variable `truncate-partial-width-windows'.

That changes the behavior to exactly how I wanted it. Thank you!

Steve