all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "No access to tty" when using tcsh and M-x Shell
@ 2004-08-06 22:54 Matt Ronge
From: Matt Ronge @ 2004-08-06 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs seems to have a problem with the tcsh shell on my Mac OS X 10.4.3
computers. Whenever I do M-x shell I get this error message:

Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
Thus no job control in this shell.
exit

Process shell finished

However, as soon as I switch my shell over to Bash, M-x shell starts working
again. I have tried multiple user accounts and multiple computers. Yet, I
get the same error everytime. I was originally using a binary from
http://www.mindlube.com/products/emacs/ and I thought that maybe that
particular build was having a problem. So I get emacs off of cvs on 7/22 and
built the mac version of it...and the problem is still there.

Any ideas?
--
Matt Ronge

* Re: "No access to tty" when using tcsh and M-x Shell
@ 2004-08-07 16:27 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-08-07 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Ronge <mronge@cotingent.com> writes:

> Emacs seems to have a problem with the tcsh shell on my Mac OS X 10.4.3
> computers. Whenever I do M-x shell I get this error message:
>
> Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
> Thus no job control in this shell.
> exit
>
> Process shell finished

Try setting process-connection-type to t.  The default value of this
variable on MacOS is nil for some reason, so by setting the variable
to t you might experience other problems.

But I don't use Macs, so I wouldn't know which problems to expect.

Kai