all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired fails on N900
@ 2011-03-31 21:10 Stinky Wizzleteet
From: Stinky Wizzleteet @ 2011-03-31 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

on my nokia N900, dired just fails with the not-so-helpful message
"insert-directory: Listing directory failed but `access-file' worked"
(btw,also in a vanilla emacs -q session )

Does anybody have an idea how I can coerce emacs into giving me more
info on where this error is originating from ?

thanks.

--
Stinky Wizzleteet thinks:
Your reasoning powers are good, and you are a fairly good planner.

* Re: dired fails on N900
@ 2011-04-01 18:09 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-04-01 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stinky Wizzleteet; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 31.03.2011 um 23:10 schrieb Stinky Wizzleteet:

> on my nokia N900, dired just fails with the not-so-helpful message
> "insert-directory: Listing directory failed but `access-file' worked"
> (btw,also in a vanilla emacs -q session )
>
> Does anybody have an idea how I can coerce emacs into giving me more
> info on where this error is originating from ?

Look into lisp/files.el. Presumingly the ls command dired uses failed.
You can customise a lot dired related.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Imbecility, n.:
	A kind of divine inspiration, or sacred fire affecting censorious
critics of this dictionary.
				– Ambrose Bierce: _The Devil's Dictionary_