all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shell-mode doesn't get a pty under Mac OS 10.3 in Nov/1/03 CVS version
@ 2003-11-03  2:22 Stephen McCracken
From: Stephen McCracken @ 2003-11-03  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

After reading the discussion about process-connection-type on akochoi's
weblog, I finally understood why job control was broken in shell-mode.  When
process-connection-type is nil, M-x shell gives me this message:

> Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
> Thus no job control in this shell

Here is an easy fix, but it would be nice if I (and more importantly, new
users) didn't have to do this to make shell-mode work.

(add-hook 'comint-mode-hook
      (lambda ()
        (make-local-variable 'process-connection-type)
        (setq process-connection-type t)))

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-11-03  2:22 UTC | newest]