all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* List possible completions in pop-up menu and choose from it.
@ 2005-08-19 11:35 Rolex JM
From: Rolex JM @ 2005-08-19 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to list in pop-up menu the possible completions returned
from (dabbrev-completion). Then I can choose one from it and
insert it into the text, just as (semantic-ia-complete-symbol-menu)
does.

Would anybody tell me how to write that elisp? Thanks.

免费下载 MSN Explorer:   http://explorer.msn.com/lccn

* Re: List possible completions in pop-up menu and choose from it.
@ 2005-08-19 17:57 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-08-19 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rolex JM wrote:
> I want to list in pop-up menu the possible completions returned from
> (dabbrev-completion). Then I can choose one from it and insert it into
> the text, just as (semantic-ia-complete-symbol-menu)
> does.

dabbrev-completion stores its results in dabbrev--last-obarray, which is
a data structure suitable for the completion functions.  You can read
about obarrays in the "Creating [and Interning] Symbols
==============================" node of the
Emacs Lisp manual.

Converting that to a menu keymap was too interesting for me to pass up:

  (let ((menu (make-sparse-keymap "dabbrev-completion"))
        (completions (let ((symbols '()))
                       (mapatoms (lambda (sym)
                                   (setq symbols (cons sym symbols)))
                                 dabbrev--last-obarray)
                       (sort symbols 'string-lessp))))
    (mapc (lambda (completion)
            (define-key menu (vector completion)
              `(,(symbol-name completion) .
                (lambda ()
                  (interactive)
                  (insert ,(symbol-name completion))))))
          (nreverse completions))
    (x-popup-menu t menu))

You can create your own command that you could bind to a key, mouse
click, or menu item by wrapping that in something like:

(defun dabbrev-mouse-completion (event)
  "*Just like `dabbrev-completion', but display a popup menu."
  (interactive "*e")
  (save-window-excursion		; suppress *Completions* buffer
    (dabbrev-mouse-completion))
)

And then replace the t POSITION argument to x-popup-menu with event.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: List possible completions in pop-up menu and choose from it.
@ 2005-08-20  7:52   ` Jimmy Rolex
From: Jimmy Rolex @ 2005-08-20  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you for your help.

Now I add following code to my site-start.el. When I press [M-up], the menu

appears at point, with possible completions inside. It looks good.

However, after I select one item inside with mouse or keyboard, the
selection
isn't inserted into the buffer. Have I done something wrong?

(defun my-dabbrev-completion ()
  "*Just like `dabbrev-completion', but display a popup menu."
  (interactive)
  (save-window-excursion               ; suppress *Completions* buffer
    (dabbrev-completion))
  (let ((menu (make-sparse-keymap "dabbrev-completion"))
        (completions (let ((symbols '()))
                       (mapatoms (lambda (sym)
                                   (setq symbols (cons sym symbols)))
                                 dabbrev--last-obarray)
                       (sort symbols 'string-lessp))))
    (mapc (lambda (completion)
            (define-key menu (vector completion)
              `(,(symbol-name completion) .
                (lambda ()
                  (interactive)
                  (insert ,(symbol-name completion))))))
          (nreverse completions))
    (autoload 'senator-completion-menu-point-as-event "senator" "" t)
    (x-popup-menu (senator-completion-menu-point-as-event) menu));;pop-up
at point
  )

(global-set-key [M-up] 'my-dabbrev-completion)

@ 2005-08-22 13:15     ` Jimmy Rolex
From: Jimmy Rolex @ 2005-08-22 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now I have more information.
If there's only one possible completion, the selection will be inserted
into the text.

Any idear?

-----
Rolex