all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs doesn't show printf() output during debugging.
@ 2005-08-17 13:05 Lao JM
From: Lao JM @ 2005-08-17 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I debug my C program, I can't see the printf() output in any buffer.
However, I can provide input to scanf() in the GUD buffer. What should
I do to show the output? I am using Emacs 21.3.50.1 (CVS) on Windows2000.

Thanks.

免费下载 MSN Explorer:   http://explorer.msn.com/lccn/

* Re: Emacs doesn't show printf() output during debugging.
@ 2005-08-17 18:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-08-17 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Lao JM" <rolexletter@hotmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:05:57 +0000
>
> When I debug my C program, I can't see the printf() output in any buffer.
> However, I can provide input to scanf() in the GUD buffer. What should
> I do to show the output? I am using Emacs 21.3.50.1 (CVS) on Windows2000.

What port of GDB is that?

Also, is it possible that your program doesn't fflush the standard
output after it calls printf?  I think redirecting stdout to a pipe
changes its buffering, so without fflush the characters may stay
buffered longer than with the console.

* Re: Emacs doesn't show printf() output during debugging.
@ 2005-08-17 21:29 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-08-17 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> When I debug my C program, I can't see the printf() output in any buffer.
> However, I can provide input to scanf() in the GUD buffer. What should
> I do to show the output? I am using Emacs 21.3.50.1 (CVS) on Windows2000.

I don't debug on Windows but I have been told that this works:

;; If you are using Emacs and GDB on Windows you will need to flush the buffer
;; explicitly in your program if you want timely display of I/O in Emacs.
;; Alternatively you can make the output stream unbuffered, for example, by
;; using a macro:
;;
;;           #ifdef UNBUFFERED
;;	     setvbuf (stdout, (char *) NULL, _IONBF, 0);
;;	     #endif
;;
;; and compiling with -DUNBUFFERED while debugging.

I think that if the string to be printed is terminated with \n, this will
also display at the desired time (line buffering?).

Nick

* Re: Emacs doesn't show printf() output during debugging.
@ 2005-08-19 11:25 ` Rolex JM
From: Rolex JM @ 2005-08-19 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have tried
       setvbuf (stdout, (char *) NULL, _IONBF, 0);
and
       fflush(stdout);
respectively. They both worked. Thanks lot.