all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Like tab function in other application?
@ 2007-03-30  4:51 Daniel
       [not found] ` <mailman.1605.1175233900.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel @ 2007-03-30  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

When I make a certain region, and press <TAB> then all texts in the
region was inserted TAB in normal text editor application. Reversely,
<S-TAB> or <C-TAB> makes delete TAB in the first column in the region.

How can Emacs do like that? (I bet Emacs can do it.)

* RE: Like tab function in other application?
@ 2007-03-30  5:48 ` Herbert Euler
       [not found] ` <mailman.1605.1175233900.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Herbert Euler @ 2007-03-30  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hanmoai, help-gnu-emacs

>When I make a certain region, and press <TAB> then all texts in the
>region was inserted TAB in normal text editor application. Reversely,
><S-TAB> or <C-TAB> makes delete TAB in the first column in the region.
>
>How can Emacs do like that? (I bet Emacs can do it.)

Perhaps M-x indent-rigidly is what you need.  It is normally bound to
C-x TAB.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

@ 2007-03-30  6:38   ` Daniel
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1607.1175241885.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel @ 2007-03-30  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 29, 10:48 pm, "Herbert Euler" <herberteu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >When I make a certain region, and press <TAB> then all texts in the
> >region was inserted TAB in normal text editor application. Reversely,
> ><S-TAB> or <C-TAB> makes delete TAB in the first column in the region.
>
> >How can Emacs do like that? (I bet Emacs can do it.)
>
> Perhaps M-x indent-rigidly is what you need.  It is normally bound to
> C-x TAB.
>
> Regards,
> Guanpeng Xu

> Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

Thank you, but it is not actually TAB. Normally, the TAB has 8 spaces,
but when I do C-x TAB, it insert only one space. Also, is there any
way to work reversely?

Dan.

* Re: Like tab function in other application?
@ 2007-03-30  8:01     ` Herbert Euler
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1607.1175241885.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Herbert Euler @ 2007-03-30  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hanmoai, help-gnu-emacs

>Thank you, but it is not actually TAB. Normally, the TAB has 8 spaces,
>but when I do C-x TAB, it insert only one space. Also, is there any
>way to work reversely?

Use prefix arg: either C-u 8 C-x TAB, or M-8 C-x TAB, or C-8 C-x TAB.
To do it reversely, use negative prefix arg: either C-u - 1 0 C-x TAB,
or M-- 1 0 C-x TAB, or C-- 1 0 C-x TAB.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

@ 2007-04-01 17:10       ` Daniel
From: Daniel @ 2007-04-01 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 30, 1:01 am, "Herbert Euler" <herberteu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Thank you, but it is not actually TAB. Normally, the TAB has 8 spaces,
> >but when I do C-x TAB, it insert only one space. Also, is there any
> >way to work reversely?
>
> Use prefix arg: either C-u 8 C-x TAB, or M-8 C-x TAB, or C-8 C-x TAB.
> To do it reversely, use negative prefix arg: either C-u - 1 0 C-x TAB,
> or M-- 1 0 C-x TAB, or C-- 1 0 C-x TAB.
>
> Regards,
> Guanpeng Xu

> FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now!http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/