all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Dired: Make directory-listing-before-filename-regexp Customizable
@ 2006-03-21  6:25 Herbert Euler
From: Herbert Euler @ 2006-03-21  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

These days I solved a dired problem raised by filename matching
in dired.  The problem happens in Emacs 21.4, and it's because
dired-move-to-filename-regexp doesn't match the real format, so
dired-move-to-filename doesn't get the matching, and the user
finally is told 'No file on this line'.

Although dired in Emacs Unicode 2 CVS becomes better in prompting
the user to check 'directory-listing-before-filename-regexp', I do
think make 'directory-listing-before-filename-regexp' and some
similar variables customizable through Customize would improve
dired's user interface.

Now that the predefined variable can't be correct everywhere,
and it's becoming more complex (I take several minutes to understand
where a sub-regexp stops), why not giving a default one and let
user decide it when this default one fails?  The user defined value
may be clearer.  For user doesn't (e)lisp, Customize could be a
good interface.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

* Dired: Make directory-listing-before-filename-regexp Customizable
@ 2006-03-23  3:33 Herbert Euler