all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* remove extra whitespace on a line
@ 2006-12-02  6:27 Greg Bognar
From: Greg Bognar @ 2006-12-02  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Suppose     I    have   a   line  like   this.

How can I remove the extra spaces from the line?  So that I end up with
this:

Suppose I have a line like this.

Exactly like fill-paragraph, but I do not want to "fill" the paragraph,
only the current line.  Is there an Emacs function to do this?

Thanks,
Greg

* Re: remove extra whitespace on a line
@ 2006-12-02  6:46 ` Chris Menzel
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Menzel @ 2006-12-02  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 01:27:00 -0500, Greg Bognar <bognar@christal.elte.hu> said:
> Suppose     I    have   a   line  like   this.
>
> How can I remove the extra spaces from the line?  So that I end up with
> this:
>
> Suppose I have a line like this.
>
> Exactly like fill-paragraph, but I do not want to "fill" the paragraph,
> only the current line.  Is there an Emacs function to do this?

You can set the mark at the beginning of the line, Ctrl-E to the end and
use "fill-region".

* RE: remove extra whitespace on a line
@ 2006-12-02  7:01 ` Herbert Euler
From: Herbert Euler @ 2006-12-02  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

How about this?

(defun just-one-space-in-current-line (&optional n)
  (interactive "*p")
  (save-excursion
    (save-restriction
      (narrow-to-region (line-beginning-position)
			(line-end-position))
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (while (re-search-forward "[ \t]" nil t)
	(just-one-space n)))))

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

@ 2006-12-02  7:02 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2006-12-02  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Suppose     I    have   a   line  like   this.
    How can I remove the extra spaces from the line?  So that I end up with
    this:

    Suppose I have a line like this.

    Exactly like fill-paragraph, but I do not want to "fill" the paragraph,
    only the current line.  Is there an Emacs function to do this?

Not that I know of, but it'd be very easy to create one with a macro,
or Emacs Lisp.

Just narrow to the line, then fill paragraph.

--
I shrivel inside each time [Star Wars] is mentioned.
        -- Sir Alec Guinness

* Re: remove extra whitespace on a line
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-12-02  8:20 ` roodwriter
From: roodwriter @ 2006-12-02  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Bognar <bognar@christal.elte.hu> writes:

> Suppose     I    have   a   line  like   this.
>
> How can I remove the extra spaces from the line?  So that I end up with
> this:
>
> Suppose I have a line like this.
>
> Exactly like fill-paragraph, but I do not want to "fill" the paragraph,
> only the current line.  Is there an Emacs function to do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

I'm not exactly clear on what you want done, but possibly
M-x canonically-space-region might work.

--Rod
______________________
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical
Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by e-mail
take the second "o" out of the e-mail address.

* Re: remove extra whitespace on a line
@ 2006-12-02  8:43   ` Dieter Wilhelm
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1429.1165067469.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-12-02  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> writes:

>     Suppose     I    have   a   line  like   this.
>     How can I remove the extra spaces from the line?  So that I end up with
>     this:
>
>     Suppose I have a line like this.
>
>     Exactly like fill-paragraph, but I do not want to "fill" the paragraph,
>     only the current line.  Is there an Emacs function to do this?
>
> Not that I know of, but it'd be very easy to create one with a macro,
> or Emacs Lisp.
>
> Just narrow to the line, then fill paragraph.

Good idea!  Another idea is:

Mark line:

  C-a C-SPC C-n

Then replace whitespace:

  C-M-% " +" RET " " !

Your idea in comparison (after marking):

  C-x n n M-q C-x n w

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: remove extra whitespace on a line
       [not found] <mailman.1421.1165042886.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-02 12:15 ` Markus Triska
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1428.1165064915.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Markus Triska @ 2006-12-02 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Herbert Euler" <herberteuler@hotmail.com> writes:

> How about this?
>
> (defun just-one-space-in-current-line (&optional n)
>  (interactive "*p")
>  (save-excursion
>    (save-restriction
>      (narrow-to-region (line-beginning-position)
> 			(line-end-position))
>      (goto-char (point-min))
>      (while (re-search-forward "[ \t]" nil t)
> 	(just-one-space n)))))

Or this:

(defun just-one-space-in-current-line (&optional n)
 (interactive "*p")
 (save-excursion
   (beginning-of-line)
   (while (re-search-forward "[ \t]" (line-end-position) t)
     (just-one-space n))))

All the best,
Markus Triska

* Re: remove extra whitespace on a line
@ 2006-12-02 12:55   ` David Hansen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1428.1165064915.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2006-12-02 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 13:15:33 +0100 Markus Triska wrote:

> "Herbert Euler" <herberteuler@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> How about this?
>>
>> (defun just-one-space-in-current-line (&optional n)
>>  (interactive "*p")
>>  (save-excursion
>>    (save-restriction
>>      (narrow-to-region (line-beginning-position)
>> 			(line-end-position))
>>      (goto-char (point-min))
>>      (while (re-search-forward "[ \t]" nil t)
>> 	(just-one-space n)))))
>
> Or this:
>
> (defun just-one-space-in-current-line (&optional n)
>  (interactive "*p")
>  (save-excursion
>    (beginning-of-line)
>    (while (re-search-forward "[ \t]" (line-end-position) t)
>      (just-one-space n))))

Both will convert two (or more) spaces after the end of a
sentence into one space.  Narrowing and filling seems to be
the right way to me.

David

* Re: remove extra whitespace on a line
@ 2006-12-02 13:50   ` Perry Smith
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1429.1165067469.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Perry Smith @ 2006-12-02 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 2, 2006, at 1:02 AM, Eric Hanchrow wrote:

>     Suppose     I    have   a   line  like   this.
>     How can I remove the extra spaces from the line?  So that I end
> up with
>     this:
>
>     Suppose I have a line like this.
>
>     Exactly like fill-paragraph, but I do not want to "fill" the
> paragraph,
>     only the current line.  Is there an Emacs function to do this?
>
> Not that I know of, but it'd be very easy to create one with a macro,
> or Emacs Lisp.
>
> Just narrow to the line, then fill paragraph.

There is a fill-region-as-paragraph command.  check it out.  The key
sequence
would be to go to the beginning of the line, mark, go to the end of
the line, then
fill-region-as-paragraph.

Also, its quicker for you to type ^h a fill (apropos fill) and scan
the results.

Perry Smith ( pedz@easesoftware.com )
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems

@ 2006-12-02 15:26     ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-12-02 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

One method not mentioned:

Highlight line
Menu bar > Edit > Fill

@ 2006-12-02 17:40     ` Greg Bognar
From: Greg Bognar @ 2006-12-02 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 13:55:42 +0100, David Hansen wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 13:15:33 +0100 Markus Triska wrote:
>
>> "Herbert Euler" <herberteuler@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> How about this?
>>>
>>> (defun just-one-space-in-current-line (&optional n)
>>>  (interactive "*p")
>>>  (save-excursion
>>>    (save-restriction
>>>      (narrow-to-region (line-beginning-position)
>>> 			(line-end-position))
>>>      (goto-char (point-min))
>>>      (while (re-search-forward "[ \t]" nil t)
>>> 	(just-one-space n)))))
>>
>> Or this:
>>
>> (defun just-one-space-in-current-line (&optional n)
>>  (interactive "*p")
>>  (save-excursion
>>    (beginning-of-line)
>>    (while (re-search-forward "[ \t]" (line-end-position) t)
>>      (just-one-space n))))
>
> Both will convert two (or more) spaces after the end of a sentence into
> one space.  Narrowing and filling seems to be the right way to me.
>
> David

So this is what I want, isn't it?

(defun just-one-space-in-current-line ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (save-restriction
      (narrow-to-region (line-beginning-position)
			(line-end-position))
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (canonically-space-region

@ 2006-12-02 17:58       ` Markus Triska
From: Markus Triska @ 2006-12-02 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Bognar <greg.bognar@gmail.com> writes:

> So this is what I want, isn't it?
>
> (defun just-one-space-in-current-line ()
>   (interactive)
>   (save-excursion
>     (save-restriction
>       (narrow-to-region (line-beginning-position)
> 			(line-end-position))
>       (goto-char (point-min))
>       (canonically-space-region
> 	(line-beginning-position) (line-end-position)))))

I recommend:

(defun just-one-space-in-current-line ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (fill-region (line-beginning-position) (line-end-position))))

All the best,
Markus Triska

* Re: remove extra whitespace on a line
@ 2006-12-02 19:49       ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-12-02 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 12:40:43 -0500 Greg Bognar wrote:

> So this is what I want, isn't it?
>
> (defun just-one-space-in-current-line ()
>   (interactive)
>   (save-excursion
>     (save-restriction
>       (narrow-to-region (line-beginning-position)
> 			(line-end-position))
>       (goto-char (point-min))
>       (canonically-space-region

He, nice to see that there is always something one didn't know
about Emacs.

With this command you can forget about the narrowing.  It's
doing all you want (well nearly, you still have to mark the
line):

   C-a C-SPC C-e M-x canonically-space-region

> 	(line-beginning-position) (line-end-position)))))

Or your code a bit compressed:

(defun just-one-space-in-current-line ()
  (interactive)
  (canonically-space-region (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol)))

David

* Re: remove extra whitespace on a line
@ 2006-12-02 20:52         ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-12-02 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 12:40:43 -0500 Greg Bognar wrote:
>
>> So this is what I want, isn't it?
>>
>> (defun just-one-space-in-current-line ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (save-excursion
>>     (save-restriction

>    C-a C-SPC C-e M-x canonically-space-region
>
>> 	(line-beginning-position) (line-end-position)))))
>

> Or your code a bit compressed:
>
> (defun just-one-space-in-current-line ()
>   (interactive)
>   (canonically-space-region (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol)))

Thanks for the aliases!

(= (point-at-bol) (line-beginning-position))

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany