all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A emacs problem
@ 2005-11-29 20:51 Cameron Vessey
From: Cameron Vessey @ 2005-11-29 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I don't really now didley about programming and I am trying to learn. I've
down loaded so many things the past few day I can't keep them all straight.
A real simply tutorial said I needed an editor. I thought I had one when i
downloaded Dev-c++ from some site for free. it looks like an editor when you
run it. But real simple programs are not compiling and running right like:

#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
   printf("Hello World\n");
   return 0;
}

I run this on Dev-C++ and a window briefly pops up (small in size) and has
Hello World on it but it disappears almost as soon as it appears.

So I downloaded emacs. Thinking to go with some thing simpler. I've read the
manuel over and over but I can't get it to configure to my computer ....the
Config.bat file...when i run it using msdos as the perameter it say I don't
have "sed" and that I need "sed". So I can't even get the editor up and
running right to learn simple programming. can any one help? I'm running
windows 98 2nd ed. 190 mg of ram and 15 gb of hard drive.

Cameron

* Re: A emacs problem
       [not found] <mailman.17229.1133297535.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-11-30  9:04 ` Malte Spiess
From: Malte Spiess @ 2005-11-30  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Cameron Vessey" <cameron1inm@hotmail.com> writes:

> [...]
>
> So I downloaded emacs. Thinking to go with some thing simpler. I've read the
> manuel over and over but I can't get it to configure to my computer

What do you mean by configure? Are you trying to compile Emacs on your
computer or what?
If you want to keep it simple, just download the precompiled version.

> ....the Config.bat file...when i run it using msdos as the perameter
> it say I don't have "sed" and that I need "sed". So I can't even get
> the editor up and running right to learn simple programming. can any
> one help? I'm running windows 98 2nd ed. 190 mg of ram and 15 gb of
> hard drive.

With a precompiled version you won't have any problems like that.
If you really want to compile it yourself, there also is a windows
version of sed available.

> Cameron

HTH
Malte