all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* removing the echo area
@ 2006-06-13 15:07 Jason Grieves
       [not found] ` <mailman.2885.1150299451.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason Grieves @ 2006-06-13 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read this email.  I am currently operating
a piece of software in emacs that requires the entire screen, i.e. the
number of rows.  In other words, because emacs takes the top and bottom rows
of the tty, the software will no longer load.  We can trick the software
into thinking it loads but sadly the words get all jumbled up.

We have found a way to remove the menu bar, but is there any way to remove
the echo area as well?

Thanks,

Jason Grieves

* Re: removing the echo area
@ 2006-06-14 15:35 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.2885.1150299451.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-06-14 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason Grieves wrote:
> Thank you for taking the time to read this email.  I am currently
> operating a piece of software in emacs that requires the entire screen,
> i.e. the number of rows.  In other words, because emacs takes the top
> and bottom rows of the tty, the software will no longer load.  We can
> trick the software into thinking it loads but sadly the words get all
> jumbled up.
>
> We have found a way to remove the menu bar, but is there any way to
> remove the echo area as well?

Do you mean you are running your program from Emacs via `M-x term'?
That should set up the terminal so that your program can query the
terminal configuration and display properly.

--
Kevin

* Re: removing the echo area
       [not found] ` <mailman.2885.1150299451.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-06-14 22:34   ` Tim X
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2898.1150326010.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2006-06-14 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Jason Grieves wrote:
>> Thank you for taking the time to read this email.  I am currently
>> operating a piece of software in emacs that requires the entire
>> screen, i.e. the number of rows.  In other words, because emacs
>> takes the top and bottom rows of the tty, the software will no
>> longer load.  We can trick the software into thinking it loads but
>> sadly the words get all jumbled up.
>> We have found a way to remove the menu bar, but is there any way to
>> remove the echo area as well?
>
> Do you mean you are running your program from Emacs via `M-x term'?
> That should set up the terminal so that your program can query the
> terminal configuration and display properly.

I think the OPs problem is they are running it from a console rather
than under X.

One way around would be to configure the console to use a smaller font
so that you get more than the 25x80 you get with default font size. Of
course, how useful this is would depend on how large your monitor is.
Under Linux, this can be configured via LILO at boot time. Not sure
about other boot loaders like grub etc.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: removing the echo area
@ 2006-06-14 22:59     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2898.1150326010.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-06-14 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim X wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>> Do you mean you are running your program from Emacs via `M-x term'?
>> That should set up the terminal so that your program can query the
>> terminal configuration and display properly.
>
> I think the OPs problem is they are running it from a console rather
> than under X.

They may be running Emacs in a console, a terminal emulator, or under
several window systems -- the OP didn't say.  But regardless, shouldn't
`M-x term /my/program RET' do the right thing?

@ 2006-06-15  7:58       ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-06-15  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Tim X wrote:
>> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>>> Do you mean you are running your program from Emacs via `M-x term'?
>>> That should set up the terminal so that your program can query the
>>> terminal configuration and display properly.
>> I think the OPs problem is they are running it from a console rather
>> than under X.
>
> They may be running Emacs in a console, a terminal emulator, or under
> several window systems -- the OP didn't say.  But regardless, shouldn't
> `M-x term /my/program RET' do the right thing?

M-x term tries to do the best it can. However, if your running under
just a console and its using the "standard" font, which only gives you
25x80, you are restricted to that size. If the program you are trying
to run is relatively well behaved, then it will adjust to having to
run with less than 25 lines. However, if it is not and assumes a
standard 25 lines, then there is nothing M-x term can do under a
console because you are constrained by the font used in the console.

If you use a font with less size that can fit in more lines/columns,
then emacs has some room to move. Under X etc, you have this
flexibility - you can even change the font size/type interactively
etc. However, under a console, you don't have that flexability. Your
restricted by the size of the screen less the lines used by emacs. M-x
term will attempt to communicate the fact that not all 25 lines are
available, but the program being run must be able to acknowledge this
information and adjust accordingly.

>From what the OP said regarding the program having to have 25x80, I
strongly suspect the program is not "well behaved" - i.e. doesn't use
termcap/terminfo to work out what size it really has to play with.
This also means there is no way for M-x term to tell it there are only
23 lines because emacs is using some of them for minibuffer, menubar
etc.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au