all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* elisp - common lisp - new calendrical calculations
@ 2011-06-13 16:03 Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2011-06-13 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like to add a "module" to Emacs for converting from Gregorian dates
into traditional Indian/Hindu dates (Bikrama Samvat), and, perhaps more
importantly, for calculating Hindu holidays.

I found a very nice set of functions for doing so implemented in Common Lisp
in *Deshow, Nachum and Reingold, Edward M. 2008. _Calendrical Calculations_.
New York: Cambridge University Press, 3rd edn*. What is the best way of
using this code in Emacs? I know that Emacs Lisp is different from Common
Lisp - and I also know that there is/are package(s?) for using Common Lisp
within Emacs.

What I don't know is:
(1) Can this code just be converted into Emacs Lisp? Or are there bits of it
which would require Common Lisp?

[Right now it doesn't work - I know that Emacs Lisp requires "defconst"
rather than "defconstant", but even changing that, I get a "condition-case:
Symbol's value as variable is void: 279457/1080000" error for:

 (defconst hindu-sidereal-year
  ;; TYPE rational
  ;; Mean length of Hindu sidereal year.
  (+ 365 279457/1080000))

And changing the definition to (+ 365 (/ 1080000 279457)) it seems just to
round.]

(2) Or else, if it is necessary, how to use Common Lisp packages in Emacs.

I have transcribed the code here:
http://www.jnanam.net/emacs/hindu-calendar.el [there are probably typos in
it yet].

I'm, obviously, not really a Lisp coder, but I am looking for some pointers
for how to get this code working within Emacs.

thanks,
  --Ben
Benjamin Slade
Dept. of Linguistics
[ http://www.jnanam.net/slade/ ]

Stæfcræft & Vyākaraṇa (lingblog) - http://staefcraeft.blogspot.com
The Babbage Files (techblog) - http://babbagefiles.blogspot.com

  परो ऽक्ष॑कामा हि देवाः
    'The gods love the obscure.' (Śatapathabrāmaṇa 6.1.1.2)

* RE: elisp - common lisp - new calendrical calculations
@ 2011-06-13 16:19 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-06-13 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Benjamin Slade', help-gnu-emacs

> I would like to add a "module" to Emacs for converting
> from Gregorian dates into traditional Indian/Hindu dates
> (Bikrama Samvat), and, perhaps more>  importantly, for
> calculating Hindu holidays.
>
> I found a very nice set of functions for doing so implemented
> in Common Lisp in *Deshow, Nachum and Reingold, Edward M. 2008.
> _Calendrical Calculations_. New York: Cambridge University
> Press, 3rd edn*. What is the best way of using this code in
> Emacs? I know that Emacs Lisp is different from Common Lisp -
> and I also know that there is/are package(s?) for using Common
> Lisp within Emacs.
>
> What I don't know is:
> (1) Can this code just be converted into Emacs Lisp?
> Or are there bits of it which would require Common Lisp?

I can't help you directly, but you might want to pose this question to
emacs-devel@gnu.org.

IIRC, Ed Reingold wrote the calendar stuff for Emacs (in Emacs Lisp), so it is
likely that either this has already been done for Emacs (perhaps in a later
version than the one you're using) or it will be done.  In any case, try asking
the Emacs developers about this (emacs-devel@gnu.org).

* Re: elisp - common lisp - new calendrical calculations
@ 2011-06-13 16:35   ` Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2011-06-13 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs