all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to get info pages for Emacs?
@ 2015-06-08 16:44 KARR, DAVID
From: KARR, DAVID @ 2015-06-08 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I've got Cygwin Emacs 24.5.1 on my desktop and Emacs 24.3.1 on my CentOS 7 VM.

If I open the main "info" node on each, I see an "Emacs" node on the first, but not on the second.  How do I get the missing Emacs info pages on my CentOS 7 VM?

* Re: How to get info pages for Emacs?
@ 2015-06-08 17:21 ` Dale Snell
From: Dale Snell @ 2015-06-08 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 16:44:52 +0000, in message
B8D164BED956C5439875951895CB4B22284D0F65@CAFRFD1MSGUSRIA.ITServices.sbc.com,
KARR, DAVID wrote:

> I've got Cygwin Emacs 24.5.1 on my desktop and Emacs 24.3.1 on my
> CentOS 7 VM.
>
> If I open the main "info" node on each, I see an "Emacs" node on the
> first, but not on the second.  How do I get the missing Emacs info
> pages on my CentOS 7 VM?

There's a couple of things I can think of.  First off, is there an
"emacs-doc" package for Centos?  If so, is it installed?
Honestly, I don't think this is the problem, since emacs' info
file should be part of the emacs package, but it's easy to check:

    yum list emacs-\* | grep -i doc

Next, check in "/usr/share/info" for the file "emacs.info".  If it
isn't there, try re-installing emacs.  If it is there, check the
same directory for the file "doc", which is the top-level node for
Info.  It should have the lines:

    Emacs
    * Emacs: (emacs).

(possibly more) in there, under Editors.

Beyond that, I'm lost.

I hope this helps.

--Dale

--
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the
beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire

* RE: How to get info pages for Emacs?
@ 2015-06-08 18:10   ` KARR, DAVID
From: KARR, DAVID @ 2015-06-08 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: ddsnell@frontier.com, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

No obvious "doc" package:
----------------
% yum list emacs-\*
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks
Installed Packages
emacs.x86_64                             1:24.3-11.el7                 @base
emacs-common.x86_64                      1:24.3-11.el7                 @base
emacs-filesystem.noarch                  1:24.3-11.el7                 @anaconda
Available Packages
emacs-a2ps.x86_64                        4.14-23.el7                   base
emacs-a2ps-el.x86_64                     4.14-23.el7                   base
emacs-auctex.noarch                      11.87-4.el7                   base
emacs-auctex-doc.noarch                  11.87-4.el7                   base
emacs-el.noarch                          1:24.3-11.el7                 base
emacs-gettext.noarch                     0.18.2.1-4.el7                base
emacs-gettext-el.noarch                  0.18.2.1-4.el7                base
emacs-git.noarch                         1.8.3.1-4.el7                 base
emacs-git-el.noarch                      1.8.3.1-4.el7                 base
emacs-gnuplot.noarch                     4.6.2-3.el7                   base
emacs-gnuplot-el.noarch                  4.6.2-3.el7                   base
emacs-golang.noarch                      1.3.3-3.el7                   base
emacs-libidn.noarch                      1.28-3.el7                    base
emacs-mercurial.x86_64                   2.6.2-4.el7                   base
emacs-mercurial-el.x86_64                2.6.2-4.el7                   base
emacs-nox.x86_64                         1:24.3-11.el7                 base
emacs-terminal.noarch                    1:24.3-11.el7                 base
emacs-vala.noarch                        0.20.1-3.el7                  base
emacs-vala-el.noarch                     0.20.1-3.el7                  base
-----------------------------

> Next, check in "/usr/share/info" for the file "emacs.info".  If it
> isn't there, try re-installing emacs.  If it is there, check the
> same directory for the file "doc", which is the top-level node for
> Info.  It should have the lines:
>
>     Emacs
>     * Emacs: (emacs).
>
> (possibly more) in there, under Editors.
>
> Beyond that, I'm lost.

% ls *emacs*
emacs-gnutls.info.gz  emacs.info.gz  emacs-mime.info.gz

% ls *doc*
ls: cannot access *doc*: No such file or directory

However, if I run "info emacs" from the command ilne, it brings up the Emacs info node.  It's just Emacs that can't find its own info page.

@ 2015-06-08 18:34   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-06-08 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dale Snell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Dale Snell <ddsnell@frontier.com> writes:

>> How do I get the missing Emacs info pages on my CentOS 7 VM?
>
> There's a couple of things I can think of.  First off, is there an
> "emacs-doc" package for Centos?  If so, is it installed?
> Honestly, I don't think this is the problem, since emacs' info
> file should be part of the emacs package, but it's easy to check:
>
>     yum list emacs-\* | grep -i doc
>
> Next, check in "/usr/share/info" for the file "emacs.info".  If it
> isn't there, try re-installing emacs.  If it is there, check the
> same directory for the file "doc", which is the top-level node for
> Info.

That file is called "dir".

> It should have the lines:
>
>     Emacs
>     * Emacs: (emacs).
>
> (possibly more) in there, under Editors.

Bye,
Tassilo

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* RE: How to get info pages for Emacs?
@ 2015-06-08 18:42     ` KARR, DAVID
From: KARR, DAVID @ 2015-06-08 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tassilo Horn, Dale Snell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Ok, that's helpful.
------------------
% ls -lt dir emacs*
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root  83214 Jun  3 13:31 dir
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  10853 Jun  9  2014 emacs-gnutls.info.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  28148 Jun  9  2014 emacs-mime.info.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 651392 Jun  9  2014 emacs.info.gz
-------------------

However, the "dir" file doesn't have the main Emacs nodes.  It looks exactly like what I see in Emacs.

@ 2015-06-08 18:43     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-06-08 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: KARR, DAVID; +Cc: ddsnell@frontier.com, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

"KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@att.com> writes:

>> Next, check in "/usr/share/info" for the file "emacs.info".  If it
>> isn't there, try re-installing emacs.  If it is there, check the
>> same directory for the file "doc", which is the top-level node for
>> Info.  It should have the lines:
>>
>>     Emacs
>>     * Emacs: (emacs).
>>
>> (possibly more) in there, under Editors.
>>
>> Beyond that, I'm lost.
>
> % ls *emacs*
> emacs-gnutls.info.gz  emacs.info.gz  emacs-mime.info.gz
>
> % ls *doc*
> ls: cannot access *doc*: No such file or directory

That file is actually named "dir".

> However, if I run "info emacs" from the command ilne, it brings up the
> Emacs info node.  It's just Emacs that can't find its own info page.

What's the value of `Info-directory-list'?  I guess it doesn't contain
/usr/share/info/, and then that's the problem.  That variable is
documented to be initialized from `Info-default-directory-list', so
what's the value of that variable?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: How to get info pages for Emacs?
@ 2015-06-08 18:50     ` Dale Snell
From: Dale Snell @ 2015-06-08 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 18:10:17 +0000, in message
B8D164BED956C5439875951895CB4B22284D111A@CAFRFD1MSGUSRIA.ITServices.sbc.com,

================%<-------- snip! -------->%================
> emacs-vala-el.noarch
> 0.20.1-3.el7                  base -----------------------------

Yeah, I didn't think there would be.  As I said, emacs.info is
supposed to be included in the emacs package.

> > Next, check in "/usr/share/info" for the file "emacs.info".  If it
> > isn't there, try re-installing emacs.  If it is there, check the
> > same directory for the file "doc", which is the top-level node for
> > Info.  It should have the lines:
> >
> >     Emacs
> >     * Emacs: (emacs).
> >
> > (possibly more) in there, under Editors.

> % ls *emacs*
> emacs-gnutls.info.gz  emacs.info.gz  emacs-mime.info.gz
>
> % ls *doc*
> ls: cannot access *doc*: No such file or directory
>
> However, if I run "info emacs" from the command ilne, it brings up
> the Emacs info node.  It's just Emacs that can't find its own info
> page.

Interesting.  There is no /usr/share/info/doc file at all?  What
does info show you when you run just "info" from the command line,
without specifying a subject?

I'm running Fedora 21, which shouldn't be much different from
Centos.  To me, this looks like a packaging error on Centos' part.
So far as I know, /usr/share/info/doc has to be there; it's the
top-level info node.  (I could be wrong, of course; if so, I hope
someone more knowledgeable will jump in here.)

--Dale

--
"Be comforted, that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
And despite the changing fortunes of time,

* Re: How to get info pages for Emacs?
@ 2015-06-08 18:51       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-06-08 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: KARR, DAVID; +Cc: Dale Snell, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

"KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@att.com> writes:

>> That file is called "dir".
>
> Ok, that's helpful.
> ------------------
> % ls -lt dir emacs*
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root  83214 Jun  3 13:31 dir
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root  10853 Jun  9  2014 emacs-gnutls.info.gz
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root  28148 Jun  9  2014 emacs-mime.info.gz
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 651392 Jun  9  2014 emacs.info.gz
> -------------------
>
> However, the "dir" file doesn't have the main Emacs nodes.  It looks
> exactly like what I see in Emacs.

Strange.  I think that file is used both by info on the command line and
by emacs, so you should get the same index in both.

Anyway, normally the package manager should update the dir file when
packages get installed or removed but that doesn't seem to have happened
on your system for whatever reasons.  But you can do that manually, too:

  % install-info info-file dir-file

adds an entry for the given info-file in the given dir-file.  So you can
do that for the missing files and hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Bye,
Tassilo

* RE: How to get info pages for Emacs?
@ 2015-06-08 18:56       ` KARR, DAVID
From: KARR, DAVID @ 2015-06-08 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw
> >> Next, check in "/usr/share/info" for the file "emacs.info".  If
> it
> >> isn't there, try re-installing emacs.  If it is there, check the
> >> same directory for the file "doc", which is the top-level node
> for
> >> Info.  It should have the lines:
> >>
> >>     Emacs
> >>     * Emacs: (emacs).
> >>
> >> (possibly more) in there, under Editors.
> >>
> >> Beyond that, I'm lost.
> >
> > % ls *emacs*
> > emacs-gnutls.info.gz  emacs.info.gz  emacs-mime.info.gz
> >
> > % ls *doc*
> > ls: cannot access *doc*: No such file or directory
>
> That file is actually named "dir".
>
> > However, if I run "info emacs" from the command ilne, it brings
> up the
> > Emacs info node.  It's just Emacs that can't find its own info
> page.
>
> What's the value of `Info-directory-list'?  I guess it doesn't
> contain
> /usr/share/info/, and then that's the problem.  That variable is
> documented to be initialized from `Info-default-directory-list', so
> what's the value of that variable?

That variable isn't even defined.

* RE: How to get info pages for Emacs?
@ 2015-06-08 18:59       ` KARR, DAVID
From: KARR, DAVID @ 2015-06-08 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: ddsnell@frontier.com, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I guess this is consistent, as it looks like what I get from Emacs, with none of the Emacs info.

@ 2015-06-08 19:00         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-06-08 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: KARR, DAVID; +Cc: ddsnell@frontier.com, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

"KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@att.com> writes:

>> > However, if I run "info emacs" from the command ilne, it brings
>> up the
>> > Emacs info node.  It's just Emacs that can't find its own info
>> page.
>>
>> What's the value of `Info-directory-list'?  I guess it doesn't
>> contain
>> /usr/share/info/, and then that's the problem.  That variable is
>> documented to be initialized from `Info-default-directory-list', so
>> what's the value of that variable?
>
> That variable isn't even defined.

It should be defined after info has been loaded, e.g., after you've done
`M-x info' or `C-h i'.

Bye,
Tassilo

* RE: How to get info pages for Emacs?
@ 2015-06-08 19:04         ` KARR, DAVID
From: KARR, DAVID @ 2015-06-08 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw
> > -rw-r--r--. 1 root root  83214 Jun  3 13:31 dir
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root root  10853 Jun  9  2014 emacs-gnutls.info.gz
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root root  28148 Jun  9  2014 emacs-mime.info.gz
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root root 651392 Jun  9  2014 emacs.info.gz
> > -------------------
> >
> > However, the "dir" file doesn't have the main Emacs nodes.  It
> looks
> > exactly like what I see in Emacs.
>
> Strange.  I think that file is used both by info on the command
> line and
> by emacs, so you should get the same index in both.
>
> Anyway, normally the package manager should update the dir file
> when
> packages get installed or removed but that doesn't seem to have
> happened
> on your system for whatever reasons.  But you can do that manually,
> too:
>
>   % install-info info-file dir-file
>
> adds an entry for the given info-file in the given dir-file.  So
> you can
> do that for the missing files and hopefully that will resolve the
> issue.

Ok, well, that fixed it.  I can now see the Emacs info both from the command line and from within Emacs, and the variable is set and correct.  It seems likely this was some sort of flaw in the image assembly.  I'll first ask the person who gave me access to this image.  We'll see how far he can take it.

* RE: How to get info pages for Emacs?
@ 2015-06-08 19:05           ` KARR, DAVID
From: KARR, DAVID @ 2015-06-08 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw
> brings
> >> up the
> >> page.
> >>
> >> What's the value of `Info-directory-list'?  I guess it doesn't
> >> contain
> >> /usr/share/info/, and then that's the problem.  That variable is
> >> documented to be initialized from `Info-default-directory-list',
> so
> >> what's the value of that variable?
> >
> > That variable isn't even defined.
>
> It should be defined after info has been loaded, e.g., after you've
> done
> `M-x info' or `C-h i'.

Looks good now.

* Re: How to get info pages for Emacs?
@ 2015-06-08 19:07       ` Dale Snell
From: Dale Snell @ 2015-06-08 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 20:43:16 +0200, in message 87r3pmkpmj.fsf@gnu.org,
Tassilo Horn wrote:

> "KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@att.com> writes:
>
> >> Next, check in "/usr/share/info" for the file "emacs.info".  If it
> >> isn't there, try re-installing emacs.  If it is there, check the
> >> same directory for the file "doc", which is the top-level node for
> >> Info.  It should have the lines:
> >>
> >>     Emacs
> >>     * Emacs: (emacs).
> >>
> >> (possibly more) in there, under Editors.
> >>
> >> Beyond that, I'm lost.
> >
> > % ls *emacs*
> > emacs-gnutls.info.gz  emacs.info.gz  emacs-mime.info.gz
> >
> > % ls *doc*
> > ls: cannot access *doc*: No such file or directory
>
> That file is actually named "dir".

Ooops!  Boy is my face red.  Only three letters, and I got two of
them worng.  Oh dear.

> > However, if I run "info emacs" from the command ilne, it brings up
> > the Emacs info node.  It's just Emacs that can't find its own info
> > page.
>
> What's the value of `Info-directory-list'?  I guess it doesn't contain
> /usr/share/info/, and then that's the problem.  That variable is
> documented to be initialized from `Info-default-directory-list', so
> what's the value of that variable?
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Thanks, Tassilo.  I was completely ignorant of those variables.
My dealings with Info are limited to reading the docs.  (Fedora's
packaging seems to always put things in the right place.)  I've
never tried to build an info file myself.

--Dale

--
Delusions are often functional.  A mother's opinions about her
children's beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam,

* RE: How to get info pages for Emacs?
@ 2015-06-08 19:24     ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2015-06-08 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: KARR, DAVID, ddsnell@frontier.com, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Have you installed the texinfo package yet?

@ 2015-06-09  0:49           ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2015-06-09  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: KARR, DAVID; +Cc: ddsnell, help-gnu-emacs, tsdh

"KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@att.com> writes:
>>   % install-info info-file dir-file
>>
>> adds an entry for the given info-file in the given dir-file.  So
>> you can
>> do that for the missing files and hopefully that will resolve the
>> issue.
>
> Ok, well, that fixed it.  I can now see the Emacs info both from the
> command line and from within Emacs, and the variable is set and
> correct.  It seems likely this was some sort of flaw in the image
> assembly.  I'll first ask the person who gave me access to this image.
> We'll see how far he can take it.

When you specify a manual on the command line using info, like "info
emacs", info will search the relevant files like /usr/share/info for the
specified file.  It doesn't have to be mentioned in the dir file.  But,
if nothing is specified then the dir file is used and if there's no
entry for an info file then nothing is shown.  Emacs works the same
way.  Before you edited your dir file if you'd have done (info-display
manual "emacs") it would have worked.

The underlying problem is that the package manager should have called
install-info for you.  The installation script isn't complete.

BR,
Robert Thorpe