all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com>
To: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
	Emacs-Devel devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: send-mail-function / mailclient
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:06:53 -0500	[thread overview]

On 19 Jan 2009, at 23:52, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> On the downside, I find that sending mail Postfix-style does not
>> work as
>> well as it used to, due to crippled mail servers that refuse to
>> accept mail
>> from dynamic IP ranges (i.e. home broadband) as a spam-
>> defense.
>
> Yes, that's the problem.  Nowadays, "systems" are basically not
> allowed
> to email any more, only "users".  So using `postfix' (which is not
> under the control of a user. but only under the control of the system)
> doesn't cut it.

In order to use the `mailclient' method on all systems, we should
consider the following issues:

- some incorrect implementations of mail clients (notably GMail
Notifier) fails to handle long URLs.  In the case of Gmail it seems to
be the server software that cuts off long URLs (intentionally, I
assume).  You may argue that this is a bug in these "mail clients",
but that doesn't help our users.  I have received several bug reports
from Aquamacs users regarding this and I now use a workaround that
falls back to the "sendmail" method if Gmail is used.

- Buffers are edited twice - once in Emacs, and then again in the mail
client.  The mailto:// protocol wasn't designed to handle full
messages to be sent off without editing.  We're abusing the protocol.
Sending bug reports may best be handled by composing the template and
then having users edit the report in their preferred mail client.
Sending e-mail with packages such as VM requires user to configure an
SMTP server anyways, so `send-mail-function' can be expected to be
customized,too.

- What happens if Emacs is used as mailto:// handler?  At least on my
system, we don't provide the function directly, but in principle,
users should be able to do this.  If GNU/Linux has some kind of
accepted standard to announce "I can handle xxx:// URLs", then perhaps
we should implement it (for all systems).