all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* BBDB ignore messages
@ 2012-11-17 13:45 Francesco Mazzoli
From: Francesco Mazzoli @ 2012-11-17 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I use BBDB with Wanderlust and I'd like to eliminate quite an annoying
behaviour.  I browse a lot of mailing lists via gmane, and BBDB automatically
adds (or asks to add if the name is already present) the gmane addresses to the
address book.  I don't want this to happen, and not only for gmane but also with
other addresses (e.g. automatic emails from various services).

I have this in my init.el:

-------8<-------

(setq bbdb/mail-auto-create-p 'bbdb-ignore-some-messages-hook
      bbdb/news-auto-create-p 'bbdb-ignore-some-messages-hook

      bbdb-ignore-some-messages-alist
      '(("From" . "no.?reply\\|DAEMON\\|daemon\\|facebookmail\\|gmane\\|ebay\\|amazon\\|tfl\\|trenitalia")))

------->8-------

I would expect all messages containing "gmane" to be ignored, but it doesn't
happen.  Am I doing something wrong?

Francesco

* Re: BBDB ignore messages
@ 2012-11-17 15:18 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-11-17 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francesco Mazzoli <f@mazzo.li> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I use BBDB with Wanderlust and I'd like to eliminate quite an annoying
> behaviour.  I browse a lot of mailing lists via gmane, and BBDB automatically
> adds (or asks to add if the name is already present) the gmane addresses to the
> address book.  I don't want this to happen, and not only for gmane but also with
> other addresses (e.g. automatic emails from various services).
>
> I have this in my init.el:
>
> -------8<-------
>
> (setq bbdb/mail-auto-create-p 'bbdb-ignore-some-messages-hook
>       bbdb/news-auto-create-p 'bbdb-ignore-some-messages-hook
>
>       bbdb-ignore-some-messages-alist
>       '(("From" . "no.?reply\\|DAEMON\\|daemon\\|facebookmail\\|gmane\\|ebay\\|amazon\\|tfl\\|trenitalia")))
>
> ------->8-------
>
> I would expect all messages containing "gmane" to be ignored, but it doesn't
> happen.  Am I doing something wrong?

It depends very much on which version of BBDB you're using. If it's
version 3 -- and you should probably be using version 3 -- then look at
the possible values for bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p. Beyond that, try
the BBDB mailing list...

> Francesco

* Re: BBDB ignore messages
@ 2012-11-17 17:26   ` Francesco Mazzoli
From: Francesco Mazzoli @ 2012-11-17 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Sat, 17 Nov 2012 23:18:33 +0800,
Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> It depends very much on which version of BBDB you're using. If it's version 3
> -- and you should probably be using version 3 -- then look at the possible
> values for bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p. Beyond that, try the BBDB mailing
> list...

I'm using version `2.36', which is what comes with debian testing.  I suppose
that you are referring to this: <https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bbdb/>.
I'd prefer not to have to install manually (also because the newer version might
not support things that I need, e.g WL), but I'll take a look...

Francesco

* RE: BBDB ignore messages
@ 2012-11-17 17:53     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-11-17 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Francesco Mazzoli', help-gnu-emacs

> > It depends very much on which version of BBDB you're using.
> > If it's version 3 -- and you should probably be using
> > version 3...
>
> I'm using version `2.36', which is what comes with debian
> testing.  I suppose that you are referring to this:
> <https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bbdb/>...

Somewhat apropos, mostly OT -

I don't use BBDB, but I have a library that supports it (Icicles enhances
`bbdb-complete-(mail|name)' wrt completion).  Currently I'm supporting versions
3.02 from http://melpa.milkbox.net/ and 2.35 from http://bbdb.sourceforge.net/.

The state of BBDB seems a bit iffy (unclear to me, at least), judging by these
two seemingly very different versions available.

And Francesco mentions a third seemingly standard/current version (2.36)
available at Savannah.  There it says "Hopefully a proper release of the new
BBDB 3 will take place soon."  Is this version numbering the same as for the
other sites I cited?  In that case, is the 3.02 version at MELPA an "improper"
release?

Is there or will there soon be a single, "standard" development stream and
latest/current supported version, or are there multiple forked developments
going on separately in separate directions?

Not a criticism in any way, just wondering and confused.

* Re: BBDB ignore messages
@ 2012-11-18  1:57       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-11-18  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> > It depends very much on which version of BBDB you're using.
>> > If it's version 3 -- and you should probably be using
>> > version 3...
>>
>> I'm using version `2.36', which is what comes with debian
>> testing.  I suppose that you are referring to this:
>> <https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bbdb/>...
>
> Somewhat apropos, mostly OT -
>
> I don't use BBDB, but I have a library that supports it (Icicles enhances
> `bbdb-complete-(mail|name)' wrt completion).  Currently I'm supporting versions
> 3.02 from http://melpa.milkbox.net/ and 2.35 from http://bbdb.sourceforge.net/.
>
> The state of BBDB seems a bit iffy (unclear to me, at least), judging by these
> two seemingly very different versions available.
>
> And Francesco mentions a third seemingly standard/current version (2.36)
> available at Savannah.  There it says "Hopefully a proper release of the new
> BBDB 3 will take place soon."  Is this version numbering the same as for the
> other sites I cited?  In that case, is the 3.02 version at MELPA an "improper"
> release?
>
> Is there or will there soon be a single, "standard" development stream and
> latest/current supported version, or are there multiple forked developments
> going on separately in separate directions?

I'm not the one who should be answering on behalf of the project (Roland
Winkler is the maintainer), but the general answer is that BBDB is
moving from version 2 to version 3, and at this point no one's really
working on 2 anymore. The confusion arises because the transition has
been a bit rocky (many changes to user-facing variables and commands)
and, so far, not really documented. The version 3 code works fine, many
of us are using it, and there are a few informal "2-to-3 transition
guides" on the web, but the lack of documentation and some remaining
kinks have prevented a "proper" release, with fanfare and a canonical
web address, and consequent appearance in distro package repositories.

That's about it...

Eric

* RE: BBDB ignore messages
@ 2012-11-18  3:24         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-11-18  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eric Abrahamsen', help-gnu-emacs

> BBDB is moving from version 2 to version 3, and at this point
> no one's really working on 2 anymore. The confusion arises
> because the transition has been a bit rocky (many changes to
> user-facing variables and commands) and, so far, not really
> documented. The version 3 code works fine, many
> of us are using it, and there are a few informal "2-to-3 transition
> guides" on the web, but the lack of documentation and some remaining
> kinks have prevented a "proper" release, with fanfare and a canonical
> web address, and consequent appearance in distro package repositories.
>
> That's about it...

OK, thanks.  That kind of confirms my impression and suggests that once things
are ironed out there will be a clear (single) new version - the confusion of
versions is only temporary.

* Re: BBDB ignore messages
@ 2012-11-23  9:04 ` Francesco Mazzoli
From: Francesco Mazzoli @ 2012-11-23  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have found an ugly but effective solution to this problem: digging in the glue
code between WL and BBDB I noticed that addresses are ignored if they match
`(bbdb-user-mail-names)', which I guess is used to ignore our own addresses.  So
I just modified `bbdb-user-mail-names' so that it matches all the addresses that
I want to be ignored.

Francesco