all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs news mistery
@ 2002-10-02 13:55 Davide Viti
From: Davide Viti @ 2002-10-02 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
it's an odd question...  I can read and write messages on newsgroup
with Emacs gnus but I wonder how I can do it!!!  The problem is that I
never configured it and it works!  I tried on my colleague's pc and
emacs says "can't find nntp server" So my question is...  where can I
read the magic configuration on my machine telling me how to make it
work on HIS machine???

thanx in advance

Davide

* Re: Emacs news mistery
@ 2002-10-02 14:10 ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2002-10-02 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Davide Viti wrote:
> Hi,
> it's an odd question...  I can read and write messages on newsgroup
> with Emacs gnus but I wonder how I can do it!!!  The problem is that I
> never configured it and it works!  I tried on my colleague's pc and
> emacs says "can't find nntp server" So my question is...  where can I
> read the magic configuration on my machine telling me how to make it
> work on HIS machine???
>
> thanx in advance
>
> Davide

The configuration should be either in your .emacs file or in a .gnus
file.
I'm not sure but gnus might be configured to use a local mail spool by
default, possibly that is what you have.

Bijan

* Re: Emacs news mistery
@ 2002-10-02 14:30   ` Davide Viti
From: Davide Viti @ 2002-10-02 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Bijan,
I'm using emacs 21.2.1 under windoze (I should have said it before!)
and I tried to use my .emacs on my friend's machine with no good
results....

ciao

Davide

* Re: Emacs news mistery
@ 2002-10-02 14:46     ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2002-10-02 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Davide,

I think configuration should be in either .emacs or .gnus .
If it doesn't work it might be that your friend has a different
ISP (internet service provider). Each ISP usually has their own
news server and you can't access one ISP's server from another.

You can set up simple news reading by simply adding:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.hisserver.com"))

to your friends .emacs or .gnus file (obviously replacing hisserver
with his ISP's actual server)

I haven't tried to do much more than that in gnus,
but you should be able to find more info in the gnus
info manual.

Bijan

* Re: Emacs news mistery
@ 2002-10-04  7:21   ` Lee Sau Dan
From: Lee Sau Dan @ 2002-10-04  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Bijan> The configuration should be either in your .emacs file or
    Bijan> in a .gnus file.  I'm not sure but gnus might be configured
    Bijan> to use a local mail spool by default, possibly that is what
    Bijan> you have.

Beware: Gnus would also examine  a few _environment variables_ when it
tries to  determine the NNTP server name  auto{m/tr}agically.  This is
often  overlooked when  troubleshooting configurations  (of  many Unix
programs).   Check the  setting  of NNTPSERVER,  or  consult the  Gnus
manual.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de

* RE: Emacs news mistery
@ 2002-10-04  8:49 Dmitri.Minaev
From: Dmitri.Minaev @ 2002-10-04  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

C-h i m gnus <RET> finding the news <RET>

   ...If this variable (gnus-select-method) is not set, Gnus will take a
look at the
`NNTPSERVER' environment variable.  If that variable isn't set, Gnus
will see whether `gnus-nntpserver-file' (`/etc/nntpserver' by default)
has any opinions on the matter.  If that fails as well, Gnus will try
to use the machine running Emacs as an NNTP server.  That's a long
shot, though.

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

* Re: Emacs news mistery
@ 2002-10-04 15:11       ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2002-10-04 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <PEDm9.1311$LB.32044@charlie.risq.qc.ca>, Bijan Soleymani wrote:

> You can set up simple news reading by simply adding:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.hisserver.com"))

Yep.  I couldn't get mine to work till I put the above line in my ~/.gnus
file.

nb