all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
To: Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Split frame?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:03:59 +0100	[thread overview]

Am 14.03.2007 um 14:18 schrieb Stephen Berman:

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:56:45 +0100 Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> Am 13.03.2007 um 22:37 schrieb Vols:
>>
>>> I installed a plugin "tabbar.el" so that each file has a tab at the
>>> top of the window. (looks like the tab in firefox).
>>> Usually I need to work with more than 10 ".c" or ".h" files at the
>>> same time. I used 'C-x C-f' to open files. After I used 'C-x 3' to
>>> split to two windows, the tabs in each window are identical. If I
>>> kill
>>> one buffer in left window, this buffer is also killed in right
>>> window.
>>> This is my problem.
>>
>> No, this is tabbar's problem! I use it in two Emacs flavours and know
>> what you're writing of ...
>
> Why do you think this is a problem with tabbar?

It exhibits strange behaviour that fits into Vols' experience! I can
kill in the upper window a buffer that still exists in the lower
window. Only difference: the upper window had a valid dired contents,
the lower window is just blank and kind of re-uses the same buffer
name. Types of buffers are grouped, so a structure can change in the
upper window and persists to exist in the lower buffer – only the
contents is gone with the wind. This grouping also leads to an
inability to return with C-x b to a previously used buffer, because
the "group" has changed. One can never see all buffers open, I have
to use mouse-buffer-menu to see what's in the frame(s) or session.

One such grouping goes with buffers which names start with ``*´´:
*shell* | *grep* | *Man something*. The (fundamental mode) buffers
*Messages* or *Completions* or *calendar* or *Holidays* or *temp*
(from calendar) are not in this group. Messages* and *scratch* build
one group, *Holidays* and *Moonphases* are also grouped as another pair.

I have no strong indication and I could not reproduce Vols'
experience, it's just an assumption. To really verify this
experience, Vols should follow my suggestion to launch GNU Emacs with
no or less customisation, i.e. with -Q or -q switches ...

>> I don't see much sense in using tabbar.el, because it is behaving
>> strangely or I need to re-read the docs, except the Emacsen are a bit
>> handicapped.
>
> What do you mean by strange behavior?  I use tabbar and don't see any
> behavior I consider strange.

See above description.

>>              Doesn't the usual control-(left-)click bring up a pop-up
>> with sorted or grouped buffers?
>
> The default binding of C-<mouse-1> is mouse-buffer-menu, which pops up
> an unsorted and ungrouped buffer list.  What you describe sounds like
> msb-mode (which overrides C-<mouse-1>).

It's bound to mouse-buffer-menu.

--
Greetings

   Pete

“Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading
your mind.”
    - D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9