all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Any way to make minibuffer questions more obvious?
@ 2013-04-18 21:42 Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-18 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I was in dired, and I deleted a dir using D, then I hit "y" to confirm I
want to delete it. Next I try to go copy another with C, but nothing
happens. I look in the minibuffer and it says "Please answer y or n.  Kill
dired buffer of foo, too? (y or n)".

I had no idea it was asking me this second question. I completely forgot
that it would. And the minibuffer where it asks it is the bottom left of my
screen, while the dired buffer is in the top-right, this being a 27" Apple
display at highest possible resolution, so there's no way I would have
noticed it.

Is there a way to make this kind of question pop-up a new frame or some
other more visual way of asking this?

-Steven

* RE: Any way to make minibuffer questions more obvious?
@ 2013-04-18 22:00 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-04-18 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Steven Degutis', help-gnu-emacs

> I was in dired, and I deleted a dir using D, then I hit "y"
> to confirm I want to delete it. Next I try to go copy another
> with C, but nothing happens. I look in the minibuffer and it
> says "Please answer y or n.  Kill dired buffer of foo, too?
> (y or n)".
>
> I had no idea it was asking me this second question.  I
> completely forgot that it would. And the minibuffer where it
> asks it is the bottom left of my screen, while the dired
> buffer is in the top-right, this being a 27" Apple display
> at highest possible resolution, so there's no way I would
> have noticed it.
>
> Is there a way to make this kind of question pop-up a new
> frame or some other more visual way of asking this?

I think we've all been bitten by that more than once. ;-)

Dunno whether someone else will have a brilliant suggestion.  (I don't.)

There are ways to make Emacs flash, burp, and wave its arms wildly, and you
could always attach those to (your version of) `y-or-n-p'.  But soon you might
find that annoying.

FWIW, `y-or-n-p' does not use the minibuffer.  It simply reads a user-initiated
event, which is typically hitting a key (e.g. `y' or `n').  If it doesn't like
the event it reads then it asks you again.  and again.

* Re: Any way to make minibuffer questions more obvious?
@ 2013-04-18 22:22   ` Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-18 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

In that case, are there any built-in functions or things that let me create
a "pop up" window/frame/anything? Kinda like a windows dialog "Are you
sure" box in the sense that it sits on top of everything else centerde in
the screen, but still responds to my keys.

-Steven

@ 2013-04-18 23:24     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-04-18 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Steven Degutis'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> In that case, are there any built-in functions or things that
> let me create a "pop up" window/frame/anything? Kinda like a
> windows dialog "Are you sure" box in the sense that it sits
> on top of everything else centerde in the screen, but still
> responds to my keys.

You can redefine or advise `y-or-n-p' to do anything you like.

`x-popup-dialog', `tooltip-show'/`tooltip-hide', `display-warning', `message',
`ding' with and without `visible-bell', fiddle with `ring-bell-function', open
36 yellow, red, and magenta frames that blink chartreuse fast and wobble around
changing size.  Whatever.

(x-popup-dialog t '("Help?! "
                    ("Yes" . 42)
                    ("No" . 3.14159265358979)))