On Apr 21, 2012, at 9:44 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: >>> Why not use (with-current-buffer buf (derived-mode-p parent))? >> Uh. That would have been too easy. :-) > > I can relate to that. > >>> Another question: couldn't it simply *replace* the existing mode filter? >>> I guess it could be a bit annoying if you want to see fundamental-mode >>> buffers (since most modes derive from it), but that's the only downside >>> I can think of. >> I thought about it, but I do in fact filter by fundamental-mode (and a few >> other modes) to hide "useless" buffers. > > Fair enough. Please send us an updated patch, so we can install it, Attached is an updated patch. I also added a keybinding, though I'm not entirely happy with it. I chose / w since w is an upside down m. My first choices of m, M, p, P, d, and D were all taken. They were for mode, parent, and derived. Feel free to ignore or change that portion. Perhaps the key should replace one of the current mode filter keys m and M. FWIW, I contacted assign@gnu.org for some changes in expand-region.el. -Ivan