On Jul 21, 2009, at 4:52 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > It might be possible to use one of those engines as Emacs's rendering > engine, indeed. To me, it wouldn't seem like an good solution to the > problem at hand because I don't think it would allow me to control the > web-browser from Emacs (e.g., how would I access from Elisp the > content > of pages generated from HTML?). JS / DOM has worked this out quite well, and the implementations provide a security model. > So it'd be more like embedding Emacs > inside a normal browser. It's not a bad idea, but I don't think it'll > provide as many benefits from Emacs's point of view. It would be fantastic to be able to use Emacs directly inside text areas of Firefox. There's a simple plugin that lets users edit text from text boxes in an external text editor, but that's nowhere nearly as nice as having a little Emacs window displayed right in place of the text box.