all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to get "electric" behavior in completions buffer?
@ 2009-03-06 18:49 David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2009-03-06 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In my previous lives using various Emacsen, I seemed to remember that when a
completions buffer came up, I could press "q" in the buffer to make it go
away.  This works for other buffers ("Help" buffers, for instance). Is it
practical to set this up in GNU Emacs (I no longer ask if things are
"possible" in Emacs, as there's not much point to that.)?  I've searched
through the various documentation, but I can't find anything like this.

* Re: How to get "electric" behavior in completions buffer?
@ 2009-03-06 23:10 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-06 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Karr; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.03.2009 um 19:49 schrieb David Karr:

> In my previous lives using various Emacsen, I seemed to remember
> that when a
> completions buffer came up, I could press "q" in the buffer to make
> it go
> away.

You don't see "Type space to flush ..." in echo area? Or is this non-
electric steamy behaviour?

--
Greetings

   Pete

It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
				– Garfield

* Re: How to get "electric" behavior in completions buffer?
@ 2009-03-06 23:34   ` David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2009-03-06 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 06.03.2009 um 19:49 schrieb David Karr:
>
>  In my previous lives using various Emacsen, I seemed to remember that when
>> completions buffer came up, I could press "q" in the buffer to make it go
>> away.
>>

> You don't see "Type space to flush ..." in echo area? Or is this
> non-electric steamy behaviour?

Ah, well, now I see that most occurrences of this buffer do work that way
(space to flush).  When I saw this question I had to spend a little time
figuring out how I was getting this.

I realized that this happens to me in shell buffers, when I type "cd wo" and
press TAB.  In my example, I have directories "work" and "workspace" in that
directory, so it completes "work", but then I press TAB to get the
completion buffer.  At that point, if I press space it will clear the
complete buffer, but if I do anything else, like ENTER because I decided the
current one was the one I wanted, then I lose the chance to easily dismiss
the completion buffer.

It seems awkward that I lose the "space to flush" option after pressing a
key, but I can't see a better way to do it. I guess I'll just have to get
into the right habit.

* Re: How to get "electric" behavior in completions buffer?
@ 2009-03-07  0:12     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-07  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Karr; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.03.2009 um 00:34 schrieb David Karr:

> At that point, if I press space it will clear the
> complete buffer, but if I do anything else, like ENTER because I
> decided the
> current one was the one I wanted, then I lose the chance to easily
> the completion buffer.

Is your PC's RAM limited to some kB? Then it might be thoughtful to
take care of the *Completions* buffer.

Mostly I am successful in creating other buffers of the same name,
but until know I either had no or just one *Completions* buffer in
GNU Emacs. I guess I should try harder to get more of them ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

And always remember the last words of my grandfather, who said: “A
truck!”
				— Emo Phillips