On Nov 16, 2006, at 2:03 PM, Tyler wrote: > Juanma Barranquero wrote: >> You can >> (define-key function-key-map [tab] nil) >> But then, many functions bound to C-I (like completion, or automatic >> indentation) won't work with the tab key. You'll have to type C-I. >> Not >> very pretty. > That's not good. I use tab for completion and auto-fill, or at > least I did until I discovered it conflicted with my intended use > of C-i. So am I correct in assuming that I can't bind anything to C- > i without also binding it to tab, unless I elect to turn off tab > entirely with your solution? Your first note said "mystically linked" -- they produce the same ascii code. Control-I is "tab". Now, on X11 and probably other window based emacs implementation, there is a tab key that you can put into a keymap (as the previous note shows). So, it might be that you can do a special dance and get the two to be bound separately. But I think it will become a maintenance problem. I would try saving the current binding of tab. Set your new binding for control-I. And then restore the original binding of tab. I'm assuming the default binding of tab is somehow an indirection to the binding of control-i but I don't know the details. I'm not sure this helps... Perry Smith Ease Software, Inc. pedz@easesoftware.com http://www.easesoftware.com Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems