all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* modeline colors
@ 2006-11-28 19:35 Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2006-11-28 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know why in some versions of Emacs (specifically, the one
shipped with FC6: 21.4.1), changing the default background disables
my modeline color setting?

If I put this (and only this) in my .emacs:

  (set-face-background 'modeline "red")
  (set-face-background 'default "blue4")

I get a modeline with the default color.  After Emacs has already
started, evaluating that first line again produces the expected
result.  Is this some corner case bug?

* Re: modeline colors
@ 2006-11-28 20:45 ` aartist
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: aartist @ 2006-11-28 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Barzilay wrote:
> Does anyone know why in some versions of Emacs (specifically, the one
> shipped with FC6: 21.4.1), changing the default background disables
> my modeline color setting?
>
> If I put this (and only this) in my .emacs:
>
>   (set-face-background 'modeline "red")
>   (set-face-background 'default "blue4")
>
> I get a modeline with the default color.  After Emacs has already
> started, evaluating that first line again produces the expected
> result.  Is this some corner case bug?
>
> --
>           ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x)))          Eli Barzilay:
>                   http://www.barzilay.org/                 Maze is Life!

M-x customize-face RET mode-line

* Re: modeline colors
@ 2006-11-28 20:52 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.1254.1164747174.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-11-28 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.11.2006 um 20:35 schrieb Eli Barzilay:

> If I put this (and only this) in my .emacs:
>
>   (set-face-background 'modeline "red")
>   (set-face-background 'default "blue4")

How is it when you change the sequence of lines?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Real Time, adj.:
Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there and then.

* Re: modeline colors
@ 2006-11-28 20:58   ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2006-11-28 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 28, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 28.11.2006 um 20:35 schrieb Eli Barzilay:
>
> > If I put this (and only this) in my .emacs:
> >
> >   (set-face-background 'modeline "red")
> >   (set-face-background 'default "blue4")
>
> How is it when you change the sequence of lines?

The same.  I even tried to do the first line in the post init hook,
with no success.

* Re: modeline colors
@ 2006-11-28 21:00   ` Eli Barzilay
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1270.1164773427.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2006-11-28 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"aartist" <aartist@gmail.com> writes:

> Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > Does anyone know why in some versions of Emacs (specifically, the one
> > shipped with FC6: 21.4.1), changing the default background disables
> > my modeline color setting?
> >
> > If I put this (and only this) in my .emacs:
> >
> >   (set-face-background 'modeline "red")
> >   (set-face-background 'default "blue4")
> >
> > I get a modeline with the default color.  After Emacs has already
> > started, evaluating that first line again produces the expected
> > result.  Is this some corner case bug?
>
> M-x customize-face RET mode-line

This, as expected, does not solve the problem.

* Re: modeline colors
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2006-11-28 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-11-28 21:58     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-11-28 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.11.2006 um 22:00 schrieb Eli Barzilay:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> Am 28.11.2006 um 20:35 schrieb Eli Barzilay:
>>
>>> If I put this (and only this) in my .emacs:
>>>
>>>   (set-face-background 'modeline "red")
>>>   (set-face-background 'default "blue4")
>>
>> How is it when you change the sequence of lines?
>
> The same.  I even tried to do the first line in the post init hook,
> with no success.

I have extra customisation to distinguish my different Emacsen and to
override X resources:

  '(modeline ((t (:background "DeepSkyBlue1" :foreground
"black" :height 1.25 :family "courier"))) t)
  '(modeline-inactive ((t (:inherit modeline :background
"PaleTurquoise1" :foreground "grey20" :box (:line-width -1 :color
"grey75") :weight light :family "profontwindows"))) t)

This works for GNU Emacs 21.3.50, 22.0.x + 23, and this was,
initially, created in a *Customisation* buffer. On Mac OS X ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

                   Sorry my terrible English, my native language Lisp!

* Re: modeline colors
@ 2006-11-28 23:38   ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2006-11-28 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

* aartist wrote (on 11/28/2006 12:45 PM):
> Eli Barzilay wrote:
>> Does anyone know why in some versions of Emacs (specifically, the one
>> shipped with FC6: 21.4.1), changing the default background disables
>> my modeline color setting?
>>
>> If I put this (and only this) in my .emacs:
>>
>>   (set-face-background 'modeline "red")
>>   (set-face-background 'default "blue4")
>>
>> I get a modeline with the default color.  After Emacs has already
>> started, evaluating that first line again produces the expected
>> result.  Is this some corner case bug?
>>
>> --
>>           ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x)))          Eli Barzilay:
>>                   http://www.barzilay.org/                 Maze is Life!
>
> M-x customize-face RET mode-line

Here is what I have in my custom.el:

(custom-set-faces
  '(mode-line ((t (:inverse-video t :foreground "Firebrick")))))

* Re: modeline colors
@ 2006-11-29  4:10     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1270.1164773427.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-11-29  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Eli Barzilay <eli@barzilay.org>
> Date: 28 Nov 2006 16:00:04 -0500
> > >
> > > If I put this (and only this) in my .emacs:
> > >
> > >   (set-face-background 'modeline "red")
> > >   (set-face-background 'default "blue4")
> > >
> > > I get a modeline with the default color.  After Emacs has already
> > > started, evaluating that first line again produces the expected
> > > result.  Is this some corner case bug?
> >
> > M-x customize-face RET mode-line
>
> This, as expected, does not solve the problem.

You mean, if you customize the mode-line colors as you wish them to
be, then save the customizations for the future sessions, and restart
Emacs, the mode line again comes up with default colors?

I can understand why set-face-background doesn't work in your .emacs:
when Emacs processes those lines, the modeline face does not yet
exist; you could fix that by, e.g., creating it with make-face.  But
saving customizations with M-x customize should solve that problem (in
a different way), so I'm puzzled by ``does not solve the problem''.

* Re: modeline colors
@ 2006-11-29  4:34     ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2006-11-29  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Elston <m.elston@advantest-ard.com> writes:

> * aartist wrote (on 11/28/2006 12:45 PM):
> > Eli Barzilay wrote:
> >> Does anyone know why in some versions of Emacs (specifically, the one
> >> shipped with FC6: 21.4.1), changing the default background disables
> >> my modeline color setting?
> >>
> >> If I put this (and only this) in my .emacs:
> >>
> >>   (set-face-background 'modeline "red")
> >>   (set-face-background 'default "blue4")
> >>
> >> I get a modeline with the default color.  After Emacs has already
> >> started, evaluating that first line again produces the expected
> >> result.  Is this some corner case bug?
>
> Here is what I have in my custom.el:
>
> (custom-set-faces
>   '(mode-line ((t (:inverse-video t :foreground "Firebrick")))))

[This has the same result.]

* Re: modeline colors
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1270.1164773427.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-29  4:38       ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2006-11-29  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> > From: Eli Barzilay <eli@barzilay.org>
> > Date: 28 Nov 2006 16:00:04 -0500

> > > M-x customize-face RET mode-line
> >
> > This, as expected, does not solve the problem.
>
> You mean, if you customize the mode-line colors as you wish them to
> be, then save the customizations for the future sessions, and
> restart Emacs, the mode line again comes up with default colors?

Only when I do it as in the above -- with setting the default face
background.  Removing that work, and like I said -- doing the second
setting after Emacs starts works.

> I can understand why set-face-background doesn't work in your
> .emacs: when Emacs processes those lines, the modeline face does not
> yet exist; you could fix that by, e.g., creating it with make-face.
> But saving customizations with M-x customize should solve that
> problem (in a different way), so I'm puzzled by ``does not solve the
> problem''.

I don't think that this is the problem.  Actually I noticed something
else -- I'm using Emacs both on the console (in a plain X session) and
from VNC: the problem is on the console, but in VNC it works fine
(using just these two lines as a minimal example).

* Re: modeline colors
@ 2006-11-29 18:33       ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1304.1164827087.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-11-29 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Eli Barzilay <eli@barzilay.org>
>> Date: 28 Nov 2006 16:00:04 -0500

Isn't mode-line the correct face (note the hyphen)?

>>> M-x customize-face RET mode-line
>> This, as expected, does not solve the problem.
>
> You mean, if you customize the mode-line colors as you wish them to
> be, then save the customizations for the future sessions, and restart
> Emacs, the mode line again comes up with default colors?
>
> I can understand why set-face-background doesn't work in your .emacs:
> when Emacs processes those lines, the modeline face does not yet
> exist; you could fix that by, e.g., creating it with make-face.  But
> saving customizations with M-x customize should solve that problem (in
> a different way), so I'm puzzled by ``does not solve the problem''.

But the mode-line face is defined in faces.el, which is dumped into the
emacs executable.

--
Kevin

* Re: modeline colors
@ 2006-11-29 19:01         ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1304.1164827087.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-11-29 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.11.2006 um 19:33 schrieb Kevin Rodgers:

> Isn't mode-line the correct face (note the hyphen)?

Mostly both forms mean the same. In the field of commands it's pretty
different.

--
Greetings

   Pete

To most people solutions mean finding the answers. But to chemists
solutions
are things that are still all mixed up.

* Re: modeline colors
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1304.1164827087.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-29 19:20           ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2006-11-29 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 29.11.2006 um 19:33 schrieb Kevin Rodgers:
>
> > Isn't mode-line the correct face (note the hyphen)?
>
> Mostly both forms mean the same. In the field of commands it's pretty
> different.

For my face problem both have the same (non) effect.

* Re: modeline colors
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.1254.1164747174.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-30 22:19 ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2006-11-30 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Barzilay <eli@barzilay.org> writes:

> Does anyone know why in some versions of Emacs (specifically, the one
> shipped with FC6: 21.4.1), changing the default background disables
> my modeline color setting?
>
> If I put this (and only this) in my .emacs:
>
>   (set-face-background 'modeline "red")
>   (set-face-background 'default "blue4")
>
> I get a modeline with the default color.  After Emacs has already
> started, evaluating that first line again produces the expected
> result.  Is this some corner case bug?

FWIW, the problem disappeared.  I think that something was broken on a
low level, perhaps even something in X.

* Re: modeline colors
@ 2006-12-03  4:26   ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2006-12-03  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Barzilay <eli@barzilay.org> writes:

> Eli Barzilay <eli@barzilay.org> writes:
>
> > Does anyone know why in some versions of Emacs (specifically, the one
> > shipped with FC6: 21.4.1), changing the default background disables
> > my modeline color setting?
> >
> > If I put this (and only this) in my .emacs:
> >
> >   (set-face-background 'modeline "red")
> >   (set-face-background 'default "blue4")
> >
> > I get a modeline with the default color.  After Emacs has already
> > started, evaluating that first line again produces the expected
> > result.  Is this some corner case bug?
>
> FWIW, the problem disappeared.  I think that something was broken on a
> low level, perhaps even something in X.

And just in case someone will care about this -- it turned out that
the problem goes away if I "xrdb -load .Xdefault" after the Gnome
session starts.  To clarify: my .Xdefaults does not touch the modeline
etc.  (And even if it does, the two expressions should set the colors
regardless of my .Xdefaults.)

* Re: modeline colors
@ 2007-01-19 19:22     ` Kelsin
From: Kelsin @ 2007-01-19 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> And just in case someone will care about this -- it turned out that
> the problem goes away if I "xrdb -load .Xdefault" after the Gnome
> session starts.  To clarify: my .Xdefaults does not touch the modeline
> etc.  (And even if it does, the two expressions should set the colors
> regardless of my .Xdefaults.)
>
> --
>           ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x)))          Eli Barzilay:
>                   http://www.barzilay.org/                 Maze is Life!

I was having this same issue, and this does solve it. Has this been
posted as a bug yet? I just have gnome running that command on startup
now to prevent this. I actually run "xrdb -load .Xresources" instead
but it accomplishes the same thing. Just like Eli, I don't have
anything in my .Xresources relating to my modeline at all. I'm running
a cvs version of Emacs from the emacs-unicode-2 branch with Fedora Core
6. I'm assuming this will be fixed by the time emacs gets past version
21.

* Re: modeline colors
@ 2007-01-19 19:39       ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2007-01-19 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Kelsin" <kelsin@gmail.com> writes:

> > And just in case someone will care about this -- it turned out
> > that the problem goes away if I "xrdb -load .Xdefault" after the
> > Gnome session starts.  [...]
>
> I was having this same issue, and this does solve it. Has this been
> posted as a bug yet? [...]

I didn't post it as a bug, because I'm not using the cvs version.
(Also, I'm not really sure that the bug is in Emacs.)