all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Randy Taylor <dev@rjt.dev>
To: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Standardizing tree-sitter fontification features
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 03:35:23 +0000	[thread overview]

On Friday, November 25th, 2022 at 15:55, Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > They are definitely useful. They are the things we currently highlight, and for a reason. Personally I only want to highlight identifiers in definition and assignment, not every occurrence of them. Since so much of a program consists of variable and function identifiers, highlighting all of them looks almost like highlighting everything. I just want some visual cues on the program structure, not programming in skittles :-)
> >
> > Fair enough. In that case, are we going to end up with duplication in the variable and function features? So long as I can program in skittles, I am happy :).
>

> I don’t think duplication would be a problem. You can disable them, or just left it on: the face would be the same, the difference is only one which ones to highlight.

I meant duplication in writing the queries. Variable and function queries would already cover most or all of what's in assignment and definition.

> > > Literal seems to encompass numbers, strings, chars, and constants. So I don’t know how does it fit. We could add char to string feature.
> >
> > Sounds good. I think I've seen char also end up in constant in some of our tree-sitter modes. Doesn't matter to me where it goes.
>

> Hmm, what does neovim and emacs-tree-sitter do? (If you happen to know)

I'm not sure how the neovim stuff works, if it's faces they are defining or features or what. But they get pretty granular, so they've got their own thing for character (they even differentiate between conditionals and loops!!!). emacs-tree-sitter isn't consistent.

I think it makes sense to include it in string though, just so long as it doesn't have the same face. Perhaps the constant face is best for it?