all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: <johann.hoechtl@inhouse.wko.at>
To: <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: 64710@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#64710: AW: bug#64710: 29.0.92; desktop session on terminal with speedbar crash
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 06:38:22 +0000	[thread overview]

The reason is actually not related to desktop-save. Unfortunately it is not easy to reproduce, as the behavior is not consistent. With the following recipe it shows quite regular though:

* Open a Windows Terminal, either Windows Terminal with bash or directly cmd.exe; Didn't test with powershell.
* Run emacs -Q -nw
* M-x speedbar-get-focus
* Right-click with the mouse, so the speedbar menu displays <-- this step *seems* to trigger the bug more easily

Now the behavior is not consistent, either
* Emacs enters a spin-lock and doesn't react; OR
* Emacs crashes with a backtrace; OR
* Emacs continues without any issues.

I did however also notice in the past that Emacs on Windows (builds from https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-29/) had spurious crashes on other places, albeit only when running with -nw. So there might be a nasty (Windows - only) terminal display bug?

I do attach the backtrace and hope that it might be useful.