I hope I don't bother, too much. There is some problem I see when building Emacs with the patch: It builds fine, but when I test it, it seems that I need to re-eval after Emacs started wdired.el in order to get it to work properly. What happeneds it that Emacs seems to run self-insert command upon entering wdired mode anyway, despite being build with patched wdired. However when I eval my working file "lazy-wdired.el" it works fine. The code is identical as one in the patch. I also noticed when I unload-feature lazy-wdired, so I unload all those wdired definitions, and if I eval patched wdired.el from lisp directory which I built Emacs with, everything also works correctly too. I am little bit confused, why do I need to re-evaluate wdired.el in a freshly patched and recompiled Emacs to get this to work? -------------------- Start of forwarded message -------------------- From: Arthur Miller To: emacs-devel@gnu.org Subject: Patch: Lazy wdired preprocessing Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:52:08 +0100