Yeah, I know, just saying I don't know how package.el does what it does. Will take a peek and look if I understand it. -------- Originalmeddelande -------- Från: Stefan Monnier Datum: 2020-12-20 18:16 (GMT+01:00) Till: Arthur Miller Kopia: Stefan Kangas , emacs-devel@gnu.org Ämne: Re: bug#30854: 27.0.50; Speeding up package.el startup >> Would you be interested in trying to split package.el into the "core >> part" needed for `package-activate-all` (and which we could then >> preload), and the rest? >> >> >> Stefan > I have arrived to this from slightly different direction: I did some > optimization as described in Emacs Doom Faq, and just noticed quickstart > file took some time, and looked and it's contents; so I am not really > introduced in what package.el does. It will take me some time to get > into it. > > In my own init I do rude directory-files listing to get all directories > in Elpa directory and I just add those to the path; but packages can be > installed in different places etc; so I will have to take a look at how it > is done and what is safe to do/assuem etc. What I'm proposing doesn't involve any of that: no need to reimplement anything. Just look at the existing code and move the relevant parts to a separate file. Stefan