Stefan Monnier writes: >> Is there any reason to require package.el at startup at all? > > Yes: `package-activate-all` (called from `startup.el`). See if this is acceptable. I tried to make as few chagnes to package.el as possible, and I didn't wont to introduce a new file, so I just put the relevant files into startup.el. I am not sure about package--activated; if quicstart should set it to 't or not. I don't think is needed, and am not sure if it is straight wrong to do too in quickstart, so I don't do that. Seems to work for me, but I am never sure with Emacs :-). If that this change is acceptable I can write something short for the news file too.