all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs
@ 2006-08-03  9:26 std
       [not found] ` <mailman.4791.1154598769.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: std @ 2006-08-03  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I am using GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2005-06-26 on
NONIQPC on a winXP machine.

I am having a hard time setting the coding system to get cut&paste from
emacs to other apps (e.g. firefox) to work.

To be a bit more specific:
1/ I start with the minimal .emacs file below containing nothing but:
(standard-display-european t)
(set-language-environment 'latin-1)
(setq selection-coding-system 'latin-1)

2/ I copy the following from firefox to the clipboard
é è à ù û î ï ö ä

3/ I paste it in an emacs buffer (no problem)

4/ Now, I copy it from emacs to the clipboard and paste into firefox. I
get
⃩ ⃠豈 ⃻ ⃯ ä
(not good)

I've tried a number of other combinations for the
selection-coding-system and language-environment (utf-16le-dos,
compound-text-with-extensions, windows1255, etc...), but could not get
any to work properly. For some combinations,  copy/paste from one emacs
window to another does not work.

I've read a number of posts on the topic, and none solved this problem.

Any idea/hint?

Thanks

St.

* Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs
@ 2006-08-03  9:48 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.4791.1154598769.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-03  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.08.2006 um 11:26 schrieb std:

> (standard-display-european t)

Throw that away! This belongs to to GNU Emacs 19 or such. set-
language-environment is another dangerous relict. Try prefer-coding-
system or set environment variables like LC_CTYPE.

There are also set-clipboard-coding-system and set-selection-coding-
system.

--
Greetings

   Pete

   Basic, n.:
A programming language.  Related to certain social diseases in
that those who have it will not admit it in polite company.

@ 2006-08-03 10:05   ` std
From: std @ 2006-08-03 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks a lot for the hint!
Now it works fine. My .emacs now has only
(set-language-environment 'latin-9)
(set-clipboard-coding-system 'utf-16le-dos)

Cheers,

St.

@ 2006-08-03 10:18     ` std
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4795.1154604386.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: std @ 2006-08-03 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Following your advice, I settled down in .emacs, which does the job
(prefer-coding-system 'latin-9)
(set-clipboard-coding-system 'latin-9)

Thanks again

By the way, is latin-9 a smart choice? (compared to latin-1, or other
utf-8 or -16...). I have no idea on these things.

St.

@ 2006-08-03 11:26       ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4795.1154604386.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-03 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.08.2006 um 12:18 schrieb std:

> By the way, is latin-9 a smart choice? (compared to latin-1, or other
> utf-8 or -16...). I have no idea on these things.

Depends – I use ISO Latin-9/ISO 8859-15 in LaTeX, because then I can
see € (ISO Latin-1 does not have the Euro currency), my usual
environment is UTF-8 based. GNU Emacs 22.0.50 still is not perfect in
UTF-8 use (a month name like Mär in dired is displayed as 'Mär',
file names appear as 'RGB aÌ\210oÌ\210uÌ\210æÃ\206UÌ\210OÌ
\210AÌ210.txt' or 'Perl_und_BuÌ\210cher'), the Unicode Emacs 23.0.0
performs better, so I'd recommend so stay with some 8 bit encoding
like ISO Latin-9/ISO 8859-15. And use UTF-8 or UTF-16 for data
exchange with MS Windows XP applications. Both encodings are
"representations" of a file's contents. UTF-8 uses 8 bit words to
code this contents, usually using three or two of these words for
each character, only in case of ASCII or ISO Latin-1 use one such
word suffices. UTF-16 uses 16 bit words – so it can address the first
64 K characters in Unicode uniformly, although it makes a difference
in which sequence/direction the two octets of bits are read, BE or
LE. Behind the Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP), UTF-8 and UTF-16 need
to use 32 bits to address the Unicode characters – just as UTF-32
uses from the start. But of course each of these three systems uses
its own codes in this range(s)/plane(s) ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Bake Pizza not war!

@ 2006-08-03 12:08         ` std
From: std @ 2006-08-03 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks a lot Pete for this valuable information!

St

@ 2006-08-03 22:35   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-08-03 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 03 2006, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 03.08.2006 um 11:26 schrieb std:
>
>> (standard-display-european t)
>
> Throw that away!

ACK.  And also thro way this more than one year old CVS version of
Emacs and get a current one e.g. from
<http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html> or
<ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/auctex/>.

> set-language-environment is another dangerous relict.

Huch?  Why do you think `set-language-environment' is bad?

,----[ (info "(emacs)Language Environments") ]
|    To select a language environment, you can customize the variable
| `current-language-environment' or use the command `M-x
| set-language-environment'.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs
@ 2006-08-03 23:12     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-03 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.08.2006 um 00:35 schrieb Reiner Steib:

> Huch?  Why do you think `set-language-environment' is bad?

Setting it to German broke a few things in GNU Emacs 22.0.50. I don't
remember any more which, but it felt like a relief when I removed
this setting.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

What’s the difference between OS X and Vista?

Microsoft employees are excited about OS X…

* set-language-environment (was: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs)
@ 2006-08-04  8:37       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-08-04  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 04 2006, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 04.08.2006 um 00:35 schrieb Reiner Steib:
>
>> Huch?  Why do you think `set-language-environment' is bad?
>
> Setting it to German broke a few things in GNU Emacs 22.0.50. I
> don't remember any more which, but it felt like a relief when I
> removed this setting.

You should have used `M-x report-emacs-bug RET', I think.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs
@ 2006-08-04 10:17       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4839.1154688716.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-08-04 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 01:12:43 +0200
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>

> Am 04.08.2006 um 00:35 schrieb Reiner Steib:
>
> > Huch?  Why do you think `set-language-environment' is bad?
>
> Setting it to German broke a few things in GNU Emacs 22.0.50. I don't
> remember any more which, but it felt like a relief when I removed
> this setting.

If this happens again, please report that as a bug (to
emacs-devel@gnu.org).  If you can afford it, I'd urge you to restore
that setting and report any problems you see.  There shouldn't be any,
now that you removed standard-display-european.

TIA

* Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs
@ 2006-08-04 10:51         ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4839.1154688716.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-04 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.08.2006 um 12:17 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

> If this happens again, please report that as a bug (to
> emacs-devel@gnu.org).

I think that what I call a bug is (was years back) meant as a feature
(excerpt from mule-cmds.el):

     ("de" "German" iso-8859-1)

This is completely wrong since almost ten years! We have the € as
currency, D-Mark is dead. Today eleven other countries have the €
(plus Montenegro, I think): http://www.ecb.de/bc/intro/html/map.en.html.

I sent a short bug report ...

> If you can afford it, I'd urge you to restore that setting and
> report any problems you see.  There shouldn't be any, now that you
> removed standard-display-european.

No, I can't afford it! The time of 8 bit encodings has finished. My
OS is UTF-8 based. And I hope to die before I'll have to use a 7 or 8
bit OS again. And if I wouldn't die naturally, I'll find some way!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.
                                          - Groucho Marx

@ 2006-08-04 11:07           ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-04 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 04.08.2006 um 12:17 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
>
>> If this happens again, please report that as a bug (to
>> emacs-devel@gnu.org).
>
> I think that what I call a bug is (was years back) meant as a feature
> (excerpt from mule-cmds.el):
>
>     ("de" "German" iso-8859-1)
>
> This is completely wrong since almost ten years! We have the € as
> currency, D-Mark is dead. Today eleven other countries have the €
> (plus Montenegro, I think):
> http://www.ecb.de/bc/intro/html/map.en.html.
>
> I sent a short bug report ...

I answered it.  "de" is and has always been iso-8859-1.  If you want
iso-8859-15, use "de@euro".

>> If you can afford it, I'd urge you to restore that setting and
>> report any problems you see.  There shouldn't be any, now that you
>> removed standard-display-european.
>
> No, I can't afford it! The time of 8 bit encodings has finished. My
> OS is UTF-8 based. And I hope to die before I'll have to use a 7 or
> 8 bit OS again. And if I wouldn't die naturally, I'll find some way!

If you want utf-8, use "de.UTF-8".  You can't blame Emacs for not
guessing that you specify the wrong locale to it.

* Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs
@ 2006-08-04 11:14           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-08-04 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:51:43 +0200
>
> I sent a short bug report ...

Thanks.

> > If you can afford it, I'd urge you to restore that setting and
> > report any problems you see.  There shouldn't be any, now that you
> > removed standard-display-european.
>
> No, I can't afford it! The time of 8 bit encodings has finished. My
> OS is UTF-8 based. And I hope to die before I'll have to use a 7 or 8
> bit OS again. And if I wouldn't die naturally, I'll find some way!

It sounds like my simple request somehow offended you or otherwise
made you angry.  I don't know what I did wrong, but I apologize
anyway.

* Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs
@ 2006-08-04 11:36             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-04 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.08.2006 um 13:14 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

> It sounds like my simple request somehow offended you or otherwise
> made you angry.  I don't know what I did wrong, but I apologize
> anyway.

No need to apologise, I simply do not want to live in a restricted 8
bit world that ends at some country's border, for which I try to work
in Unicode Emacs 23.0.0 and try to help GNU Emacs 22.0.50 come close
to it. *I* should apologise if I sounded so harsh and repulsive!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Bake Pizza not war!

* Re: set-language-environment (was: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs)
@ 2006-08-04 11:44         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-04 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.08.2006 um 10:37 schrieb Reiner Steib:

> On Fri, Aug 04 2006, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> Am 04.08.2006 um 00:35 schrieb Reiner Steib:
>>
>>> Huch?  Why do you think `set-language-environment' is bad?
>>
>> Setting it to German broke a few things in GNU Emacs 22.0.50. I
>> don't remember any more which, but it felt like a relief when I
>> removed this setting.
>
> You should have used `M-x report-emacs-bug RET', I think.

Could be ... David Kastrup already answered that my eMail was kind of
nonsense.

Actually I do not care so much on this item: I know since some months
and I do avoid it and I'll try to continue to warn using it. From
time to time I might explain that it might often set an 8 bit
environment with an inappropriate encoding like ISO 8859-1 in the €
zone!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Die Zeit wird kommen, da unsere Nachkommen sich wundern werden, wie
wir so wunderbare Dinge einfach gewusst haben konnten.
                         (Ein Optimist nach Lucius Annæus Seneca)

* Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs
@ 2006-08-04 11:47             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-04 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.08.2006 um 13:07 schrieb David Kastrup:

> If you want utf-8, use "de.UTF-8".  You can't blame Emacs for not
> guessing that you specify the wrong locale to it.

I do not blame GNU Emacs, because I avoid setting

	(set-language-environment       'German)

Those who have this statement get an environment from the past.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Behold the warranty ... the bold print giveth and the fine print
taketh away.

* Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs
@ 2006-08-04 12:11               ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-08-04 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 04.08.2006 um 13:07 schrieb David Kastrup:
>
>> If you want utf-8, use "de.UTF-8".  You can't blame Emacs for not
>> guessing that you specify the wrong locale to it.
>
> I do not blame GNU Emacs, because I avoid setting
>
> 	(set-language-environment       'German)
>
> Those who have this statement get an environment from the past.

Those who have this statement get nonsense, since
set-language-environment takes a string as an argument.

set-language-environment is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `mule-cmds.el'.
It is bound to C-x RET l.
(set-language-environment LANGUAGE-NAME)

Set up multi-lingual environment for using LANGUAGE-NAME.
This sets the coding system priority and the default input method
and sometimes other things.  LANGUAGE-NAME should be a string
which is the name of a language environment.  For example, "Latin-1"
specifies the character set for the major languages of Western Europe.

[back]

* Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs
@ 2006-08-04 15:46                 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-04 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.08.2006 um 14:11 schrieb David Kastrup:

> LANGUAGE-NAME should be a string

(set-language-environment  "German")

makes no difference: I again trapped in 8 bit ISO 8859-1.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

neither do we.