all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* disable mouse input
@ 2012-09-14 18:06 Ferdinand
From: Ferdinand @ 2012-09-14 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi,

I currently try to learn to work with emacs.
But I am really used to work with the mouse (mainly to scroll through text-documents and position the cursor).

In emacs this feels a little bit out of place
(especially because I am working on Mac OS and my emacs version has no inertia scrolling).

But since I am so used to using the mouse (actually the trackpad) it just happens automatically.
Is there any way to disable mouse / trackpad input in emacs?

And, for the emacs professionals here on the list; do you really not use the mouse at all?

How do you navigate through a document quickly (to get an overview)?
Or how do you jump to a specific position without the mouse?

thanks for any help and suggestions!

* Re: disable mouse input
@ 2012-09-14 18:17 ` Jambunathan K
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-09-14 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferdinand; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

See www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/

Specifically the moving around in buffers part.

> Hi,
>
> I currently try to learn to work with emacs.
> But I am really used to work with the mouse (mainly to scroll through
> text-documents and position the cursor).
>
> In emacs this feels a little bit out of place
> (especially because I am working on Mac OS and my emacs version has no
> inertia scrolling).
>
> But since I am so used to using the mouse (actually the trackpad) it
> just happens automatically.
> Is there any way to disable mouse / trackpad input in emacs?
>

> And, for the emacs professionals here on the list; do you really not
> use the mouse at all?
>
> How do you navigate through a document quickly (to get an overview)?
> Or how do you jump to a specific position without the mouse?
>

> thanks for any help and suggestions!

* Re: disable mouse input
@ 2012-09-14 18:19 ` Jambunathan K
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-09-14 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferdinand; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Also try Orgmode - http://orgmode.org

I have heard people more comfortable with Orgmode than Emacs.

Anyways a walk through Emacs tutorial is a must.

    Menu->Help->Emacs

@ 2012-09-14 18:41 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.8886.1347648123.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-09-14 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ferdinand', help-gnu-emacs

> I currently try to learn to work with emacs.
> But I am really used to work with the mouse (mainly to scroll
> through text-documents and position the cursor).

You can certainly use the Emacs mouse to scroll and to position the cursor. ;-)

> In emacs this feels a little bit out of place
> (especially because I am working on Mac OS and my emacs
> version has no inertia scrolling).

Someone else can perhaps speak specifically to inertia scrolling - I'm not
familiar with it.

But you have not otherwise described what makes you feel out of place using the
Emacs mouse.

Have you read the Emacs manual about the Emacs mouse?  That might help.

> But since I am so used to using the mouse (actually the
> trackpad) it just happens automatically.

What happens automatically?

> Is there any way to disable mouse / trackpad input in emacs?

Just don't use it?  If you don't use it then there is no input from it.

> And, for the emacs professionals here on the list; do you
> really not use the mouse at all?

There is no such thing as an Emacs professional, IMHO (including anyone who
makes money teaching or writing about Emacs).

Some longtime (and some shorttime) Emacs users do not use a mouse.  Some do.

I am a longtime user, and I do use a mouse.  I don't use it all the time and for
everything, but I certainly do use it.  Nothing beats a pointer device for,
well, pointing (i.e., direct-access), IMO. ;-)

That should be a no-brainer, but for some reason it seems controversial among
Emacs users.  Some will find ways to prefer navigating using keys even to an
arbitrary position that they can see and point to with their finger but for
which there is no particularly handy key sequence available.

(Some people no doubt prefer magnetic tape access over disk access...)

This is a sensitive topic in Emacsland, and you will find some users who are
*strongly* anti-rodent.  They are nuts, of course.  ;-)

> How do you navigate through a document quickly (to get an overview)?
> Or how do you jump to a specific position without the mouse?

There are lots of handy ways to use the keyboard (i.e., non-mouse key sequences)
to navigate in Emacs.  The manual is your friend.  And yes, various tours and
tutorials can also help.

My suggestion would be to start by trying to use the mouse more or less as you
have been using it outside Emacs, and gradually learn more about keyboard key
bindings (aka "shortcuts").

But read the manual about the Emacs mouse now, so you know what to expect,
including any differences in behavior wrt what you are used to .

* Re: disable mouse input
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-09-14 20:11 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.8886.1347648123.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-09-14 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferdinand; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Am 14.09.2012 um 20:06 schrieb Ferdinand:

> In emacs this feels a little bit out of place
> (especially because I am working on Mac OS and my emacs version has no inertia scrolling).

Use a variant of GNU Emacs with Mac OS X support, i.e., its NS variant or the so called AppKit version by YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu (a set of patches and extra Elisp files to build that GNU Emacs oneself).

--
Greetings

  Pete

     _o    o         o   o
   _<<     \\_/\_,   \\_ \\_/\_,
  (*)/(*) (*)   (*) (*) `-    (*)

* Re: disable mouse input
       [not found] ` <mailman.8886.1347648123.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-10-14  0:33   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2012-10-14  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.8886.1347648123.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

Given that you can do SO MUCH in emacs via just your fingers
in touch-typing position, it quickly becomes a pain to have
to move your (right) hand to grab the mouse and move it, and
then move your hand back to the proper place on the keyboard.

Thus, I basically never use the mouse when in Emacs.

And, I don't need to, because I can get anywhere I want
via a simple search to where I want the cursor to go to.

Please, take the handy emacs "tutorial", which is trivially
easy to get into from the middle of emacs: simply do
   Control-H and then T (for tutorial).

I believe (it's been a long time) that while in the
tutorial you won't use the mouse even once (since it
was written long, long before the average emacs user
had access to mice, ie before GUIs existed.)

Once you finish the tutorial, read the emacs manual.

I know it's bad form to suggest this, but two very
good textbooks on emacs exist.  Google
          amazon     emacs
and see what comes up.

Good luck!

David

* RE: disable mouse input
@ 2012-10-14  4:04     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-10-14  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'David Combs', help-gnu-emacs

> In article <mailman.8886.1347648123.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

Huh?  There is nothing in your message that cites anything I wrote - it cites
nothing written by anyone, in fact.

So please do not introduce your message that way, as it is misleading.  What you
write is presumably to someone else and apparently has nothing to do with me or
anything I have written.

> Please, take the handy emacs "tutorial", which is trivially
> easy to get into from the middle of emacs: simply do
>    Control-H and then T (for tutorial).

Thanks.  I followed the tutorial for the first time in the mid 1980s, and I have
done so again several times since then, among other reasons to suggest
improvements.

> I believe (it's been a long time) that while in the
> tutorial you won't use the mouse even once (since it
> was written long, long before the average emacs user
> had access to mice, ie before GUIs existed.)
>
> Once you finish the tutorial, read the emacs manual.

Thanks again.  Always good advice, even for those who have read it again and
again.

> I know it's bad form to suggest this, but two very
> good textbooks on emacs exist.  Google amazon emacs
> and see what comes up.
>
> Good luck!

Thank you.  Good luck to you too. ;-)