all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "open -a emacs ." on OSX behavior changed in past few weeks
@ 2012-08-09 20:50 Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2012-08-09 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Starting recently, if OSX (NS) Emacs isn't running, "open -a emacs ."
starts up emacs, but doesn't open the current directory.  If emacs is
already running, it opens a dired on the current directory.

Prior to "recently", it didn't matter whether Emacs was running or
not -- the current directory was opened.

This also breaks dragging a folder or file onto the icon, if Emacs isn't
yet running.  Again, if emacs is already running, the old behavior is
good.

Other than telling me "never quit emacs" :), was this an intentional
change (and if so, why), or is it a bug that someone can look at?

* Re: "open -a emacs ." on OSX behavior changed in past few weeks
@ 2012-08-10  6:27 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2012-08-10  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Randal L. Schwartz; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello.

Please file a bug report.  This was probably introduced when fixing bug 12010 (http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12010).

> This also breaks dragging a folder or file onto the icon, if Emacs isn't
> yet running.  Again, if emacs is already running, the old behavior is
> good.

Breaks how?  Doesn't Emacs open the foleder/file?

> Other than telling me "never quit emacs" :), was this an intentional
> change (and if so, why), or is it a bug that someone can look at?

	Jan D.

* Re: "open -a emacs ." on OSX behavior changed in past few weeks
@ 2012-08-10 12:30   ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2012-08-10 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jan> Hello.
Jan> 9 aug 2012 kl. 22:50 skrev Randal L. Schwartz:

>> Starting recently, if OSX (NS) Emacs isn't running, "open -a emacs ."
>> starts up emacs, but doesn't open the current directory.  If emacs is
>> already running, it opens a dired on the current directory.
>>
>> Prior to "recently", it didn't matter whether Emacs was running or
>> not -- the current directory was opened.
>>

Jan> Please file a bug report.  This was probably introduced when fixing bug 12010 (http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12010).

>> This also breaks dragging a folder or file onto the icon, if Emacs isn't
>> yet running.  Again, if emacs is already running, the old behavior is
>> good.
>>

Jan> Breaks how?  Doesn't Emacs open the foleder/file?

No.

If emacs is not running, activating it via either icon or "open -a
emacs" launches to the scratch buffer, ignoring any parameter or dropped
file/folder.

If emacs *is* running, it works as before, opening the requested item.

So somewhere in the new launching sequence, emacs is ignoring its
parameter.