all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclient problem
@ 2008-11-15  4:37 Ruohao Li
From: Ruohao Li @ 2008-11-15  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm using the latest emacs-snapshot (emacs23) on Ubuntu. I have
(server-start) in my .emacs file. When I try to edit a file through
emacsclient, I got the following message:

$ emacsclient somefile
Waiting for Emacs...
-error Unknown&_command:&_/home/lirh/somefile

What's wrong with this? How can I make it work?

* Re: emacsclient problem
@ 2008-11-15  7:14 ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2008-11-15  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruohao Li; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ruohao Li wrote:
> I'm using the latest emacs-snapshot (emacs23) on Ubuntu. I have
> (server-start) in my .emacs file. When I try to edit a file through
> emacsclient, I got the following message:
>
> $ emacsclient somefile
> Waiting for Emacs...
> -error Unknown&_command:&_/home/lirh/somefile
>
> What's wrong with this? How can I make it work?

That's probably the emacsclient from a previous version of emacs, not
snapshot.  Try emacsclient.emacs-snapshot somefile , instead.

Erik

* Re: emacsclient problem
@ 2008-11-15  9:43   ` Ruohao Li
From: Ruohao Li @ 2008-11-15  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 01:14 -0600, Erik Iverson wrote:
> Ruohao Li wrote:
> > I'm using the latest emacs-snapshot (emacs23) on Ubuntu. I have
> > (server-start) in my .emacs file. When I try to edit a file through
> > emacsclient, I got the following message:
> >
> > $ emacsclient somefile
> > Waiting for Emacs...
> > -error Unknown&_command:&_/home/lirh/somefile
> >
> > What's wrong with this? How can I make it work?
> >

> That's probably the emacsclient from a previous version of emacs, not
> snapshot.  Try emacsclient.emacs-snapshot somefile , instead.
>
> Erik
Yes, that's the problem, it now works, thank you.

* Re: emacsclient problem
@ 2008-11-15  9:59 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-15  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruohao Li; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.11.2008 um 05:37 schrieb Ruohao Li:

> $ emacsclient somefile
> Waiting for Emacs...
> -error Unknown&_command:&_/home/lirh/somefile
>
> What's wrong with this? How can I make it work?

Could be you have more than one emacsclient programme in your search
PATH and the wrong one is found ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Who the fsck is "General Failure," and why is he reading my disk?

* emacsclient problem
@ 2010-05-14  4:23 Jason Mader
From: Jason Mader @ 2010-05-14  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In Emacs 23.2 and 23.1, on OS X, when I use emacsclient -t, under a
certain condition when I have a region in a buffer made with the
mouse, the buffer in emacsclient is frozen until I click the mouse in
the other buffer with the region (sometimes C-g will work too).

It's pretty easy to repeat.  Highlight a region with the mouse, switch
to a terminal running emacsclient -t and no input will have an affect,
even C-g.  It's not a problem if the region was created by setting a
mark and moving the point.

Is this a problem with Emacs, or is there something I can do when
emacsclient starts to avoid the problem if I have created a region
with the mouse thinking I'll be able to yank it into the new
emacsclient buffer?

* Re: emacsclient problem
@ 2010-05-14 18:22 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-05-14 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> It's pretty easy to repeat.  Highlight a region with the mouse, switch
> to a terminal running emacsclient -t and no input will have an affect,
> even C-g.  It's not a problem if the region was created by setting a
> mark and moving the point.

It's a problem in the implementation of the feature related to the
variable mouse-region-delete-keys.
This implementation has various other similar annoying side-effects :-(
Hopefully, we'll get that fixed in Emacs-24.