all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Jump to autoconf macro documentation
@ 2011-01-30 10:47 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-01-30 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like to help myself to understand and write correct Configure.ac
files.

Now one idea would be to be able to jump from the macro to its
definition.

So I found that the definition of every macro is given in the autoconf
Info page, for example under with the string:

Macro: AC_ARG_ENABLE

so it would be easy to jump to.

Only one problem, how (thing-at-point 'word) doesn't work well with

AC_ARG_ENABLE for example, so or I redefine locally how a word should be
(if possible), or I have to do some other regexp trick to get it.

Another problem is that I don't get how to look for, if I have an Info
buffer already open it uses that position.  So maybe it's better if I
create a new Info buffer and use it.

And also how do I jump to an info page from the TOC: RET is bound to
this:

(Info-follow-nearest-node &optional FORK)

But I think there is a smarter way than doing a search-regexp and then
use that function, right?

* Re: Jump to autoconf macro documentation
@ 2011-01-30 15:09 ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2011-01-30 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You want to change the syntax table to rexognize ?_ as a word constituent.
see http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsSyntaxTable

(defvar my-wacky-syntax-table
    (modify-syntax-entry ?_ "w" (make-syntax-table)))

(defun get-word ()
  (interactive)
  (message "%s"
           (with-syntax-table my-wacky-syntax-table
             (thing-at-point 'word))))

I don't know much about info, but "g" is bound to `Info-goto-node'

--
Le

* Re: Jump to autoconf macro documentation
@ 2011-01-30 16:03   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-01-30 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com> writes:

> You want to change the syntax table to rexognize ?_ as a word constituent.
> see http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsSyntaxTable
> (defvar my-wacky-syntax-table
>  (modify-syntax-entry ?_ "w" (make-syntax-table)))
> (defun get-word ()
>   (interactive)
>   (message "%s"
>   (with-syntax-table my-wacky-syntax-table
>  (thing-at-point 'word))))
> I don't know much about info, but "g" is bound to `Info-goto-node'

Ah thanks a lot!
I changed to this because my-wacky-syntax-table was nil

(setq my-wacky-syntax-table (make-syntax-table))
(modify-syntax-entry ?_ "w" my-wacky-syntax-table)

(defun get-autoconf-word ()
  (interactive)
  (message "%s"
           (with-syntax-table my-wacky-syntax-table
             (thing-at-point 'word))))

But it works :)

About Info I also thought about "g", but what "g" does is just jump in
the right section, if I do

M-: RET (Info-goto-node "Autoconf")
from a info buffer where I see the entry "Autoconf"

I get:
byte-code: No such node or anchor: Autoconf

* Re: Jump to autoconf macro documentation
@ 2011-01-30 16:09   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2011-01-30 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

() Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com>
() Sun, 30 Jan 2011 23:09:29 +0800

   change the syntax table to rexognize ?_ as a word constituent

See also:

(thing-at-point 'symbol)

* Re: Jump to autoconf macro documentation
@ 2011-01-30 16:16 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2011-01-30 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 1/30/11 3:47 AM, Andrea Crotti wrote:

> I would like to help myself to understand and write correct Configure.ac
> files.
>
> Now one idea would be to be able to jump from the macro to its
> definition.
>
> So I found that the definition of every macro is given in the autoconf
> Info page, for example under with the string:
>
> Macro: AC_ARG_ENABLE
>
> so it would be easy to jump to.
>
> Only one problem, how (thing-at-point 'word) doesn't work well with
>
> AC_ARG_ENABLE for example, so or I redefine locally how a word should be
> (if possible), or I have to do some other regexp trick to get it.

(thing-at-point 'sexp)

> Another problem is that I don't get how to look for, if I have an Info
> buffer already open it uses that position.  So maybe it's better if I
> create a new Info buffer and use it.

(info "autoconf" "*autoconf*<AC_ARG_ENABLE>")

> And also how do I jump to an info page from the TOC: RET is bound to
> this:
>
> (Info-follow-nearest-node&optional FORK)
>
> But I think there is a smarter way than doing a search-regexp and then
> use that function, right?

Yes:

Info-index is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `info.el'.

(Info-index TOPIC)

Look up a string TOPIC in the index for this manual and go to that entry.
If there are no exact matches to the specified topic, this chooses
the first match which is a case-insensitive substring of a topic.
Use the , command to see the other matches.
Give an empty topic name to go to the Index node itself.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Jump to autoconf macro documentation
@ 2011-01-30 17:31   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-01-30 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Yes:
>
> Info-index is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `info.el'.
>
> (Info-index TOPIC)
>
> Look up a string TOPIC in the index for this manual and go to that entry.
> If there are no exact matches to the specified topic, this chooses
> the first match which is a case-insensitive substring of a topic.
> Use the , command to see the other matches.
> Give an empty topic name to go to the Index node itself.

Maybe the key chosen is not the best but it works wonderfully :)

  (setq autoconf-macro-syntax-table (make-syntax-table))
  (modify-syntax-entry ?_ "w" autoconf-macro-syntax-table)

  (defun get-autoconf-macro-definition ()
    "jump to the definition of a macro"
    (interactive)
    (let
        ((macro (with-syntax-table autoconf-macro-syntax-table (thing-at-point 'word))))
      (info "autoconf" (concat "*autconf*<" macro ">"))
      (Info-index macro)))

  (add-hook 'autoconf-mode-hook
            (lambda ()
              (local-set-key "\C-j" 'get-autoconf-macro-definition)))

* Re: Jump to autoconf macro documentation
@ 2011-01-31  0:02     ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-01-31  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

To be more complete I thought that I could do the following thing, first I try
to look for the macro definition in aclocal.m4, and if it's not there I try in the Info page.

So I came up with something like

  (setq autoconf-macro-syntax-table (make-syntax-table))
  (modify-syntax-entry ?_ "w" autoconf-macro-syntax-table)

  (defun get-autoconf-macro-definition ()
    "jump to the definition of a macro"
    (interactive)
    (let
        ((macro (with-syntax-table autoconf-macro-syntax-table (thing-at-point 'word))))
      (unless (get-autoconf-macro-local macro)
        (info "autoconf" (concat "*autconf*<" macro ">"))
        (Info-index macro))))

  (defun get-autoconf-macro-local (macro)
    "Look for the definition of the macro in aclocal.m4 before"
    (let
        ((local-macro-file "aclocal.m4"))
      (if (file-exists-p local-macro-file)
          (save-excursion
            (find-file local-macro-file)
            (search-forward (format "AC_DEFUN([%s])" macro)))
        nil)))

  (add-hook 'autoconf-mode-hook
            (lambda ()
              (local-set-key "\C-j" 'get-autoconf-macro-definition)))

What doesn't work yet is how to return false (and thus return to the previous state in case
the macro is not found anywhere.

And I should give an error message if I don't find the macro with Info-index as well, any idea?

* Re: Jump to autoconf macro documentation
@ 2011-01-31  0:46       ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2011-01-31  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You haven't said why it doesn't work.  Maybe you need to look into error
handling?

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp/html_node/Handling-Errors.html

<http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp/html_node/Handling-Errors.html>In
the future, please try harder to use the built-in help system *and* Google
first before posting to this list.  This list should not be your first line
of defense when you come across an issue.

Also when you post your issue, describe it in detail; and demonstrate that
you've tried the obvious avenues to resolve it yourself, i.e. describe your
attempts at solving the problem, and why you are stuck

"I thought the issue might be xxx, so I tried A, B and C.  But now I'm
stuck."

Giving more details will help others in the future who Google similar
issues, It also shows people that you are sincere and willing to invest your
own time before bothering others.

People who persistently spray terse "stream of thought" style questions into
mailing lists get filtered out.  I like it when people show respect for
others' time.

Please understand that I'm not trying to offend you, just trying to help you
get more answers to your questions in the future.

--
Le

* Re: Jump to autoconf macro documentation
@ 2011-01-31 10:18         ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-01-31 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com> writes:

> You haven't said why it doesn't work.  Maybe you need to look into error
> handling?
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp/html_node/Handling-Errors.html
> In the future, please try harder to use the built-in help system *and*
> Google first before posting to this list.  This list should not be your
> first line of defense when you come across an issue.
> Also when you post your issue, describe it in detail; and demonstrate that
> you've tried the obvious avenues to resolve it yourself, i.e. describe
> your attempts at solving the problem, and why you are stuck
> "I thought the issue might be xxx, so I tried A, B and C.  But now I'm
> stuck."
> Giving more details will help others in the future who Google similar
> issues, It also shows people that you are sincere and willing to invest
> your own time before bothering others.
> People who persistently spray terse "stream of thought" style questions
> into mailing lists get filtered out.  I like it when people show respect
> for others' time.
> Please understand that I'm not trying to offend you, just trying to help
> you get more answers to your questions in the future.

Yes sorry you're right, I was half sleeping and I just wanted to write
something but it wasn't complete.

Anyway I think I added some nice features:

  (setq autoconf-macro-syntax-table (make-syntax-table))
  (modify-syntax-entry ?_ "w" autoconf-macro-syntax-table)

  (defun get-autoconf-macro-definition ()
    "jump to the definition of a macro"
    (interactive)
    (let
        ((macro (with-syntax-table autoconf-macro-syntax-table (thing-at-point 'word))))
      (or
       (get-autoconf-macro-local macro)
       (lookup-in-info "autoconf" macro)
       (lookup-in-info "automake" macro)
       (google-it macro))))

  (defun lookup-in-info (section string)
    "lookup string in the given section"
    (info section (format "*%s*<%s>" section string))
    (condition-case nil
        (Info-index string)
      (error nil)))

  (defun get-autoconf-macro-local (macro)
    "Look for the definition of the macro in aclocal.m4 before"
    (let
        ((local-macro-file "aclocal.m4"))
      (if (file-exists-p local-macro-file)
          (save-excursion
            (find-file local-macro-file)
            (condition-case nil
                (search-forward (format "AC_DEFUN([%s])" macro))
              (error nil))
            nil))))

  (add-hook 'autoconf-mode-hook
            (lambda ()
              (local-set-key "\C-j" 'get-autoconf-macro-definition)))

So it tries before in aclocal.m4, then autoconf macros, then automake
macros and then looking up with google.

Not sure that using or is the best thing but it works fine in this
case...
But why in the "condition-case" I need to do "(error nil)" instead of
just "nil" when I return false?

* Re: Jump to autoconf macro documentation
@ 2011-01-31 10:31           ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2011-01-31 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com>
() Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:18:01 +0100

     (setq autoconf-macro-syntax-table (make-syntax-table))
     (modify-syntax-entry ?_ "w" autoconf-macro-syntax-table)

           ((macro (with-syntax-table autoconf-macro-syntax-table
                      (thing-at-point 'word))))

Why not use

(thing-at-point 'symbol)

?

* Re: Jump to autoconf macro documentation
       [not found] <mailman.1.1296384469.21090.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-01-31 16:14 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-01-31 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> So I found that the definition of every macro is given in the autoconf
> Info page, for example under with the string:

> Macro: AC_ARG_ENABLE

There's a general infrastructure in Emacs to jump from a use to its
Info documentation.  It's bound to C-h S and is called info-lookup-symbol.
There is support for Autoconf's manual in it, so it should work.
If not, please M-x report-emacs-bug.

* Re: Jump to autoconf macro documentation
@ 2011-01-31 22:11           ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2011-01-31 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 1/31/11 3:18 AM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> But why in the "condition-case" I need to do "(error nil)" instead of
> just "nil" when I return false?

As the doc string for condition-case states:

	(condition-case VAR BODYFORM &rest HANDLERS)
	Each element of HANDLERS looks like (CONDITION-NAME BODY...)

A nil handler is the same as (), which does not specify a CONDITION-NAME to
handle nor a body for the return value.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Jump to autoconf macro documentation
@ 2011-01-31 23:19   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-01-31 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> So I found that the definition of every macro is given in the autoconf
>> Info page, for example under with the string:
>
>> Macro: AC_ARG_ENABLE
>
> There's a general infrastructure in Emacs to jump from a use to its
> Info documentation.  It's bound to C-h S and is called info-lookup-symbol.
> There is support for Autoconf's manual in it, so it should work.
> If not, please M-x report-emacs-bug.
>

>         Stefan

Auch didn't know it, there's always one more feature to find out ;)

It works quite well yes, but it could be still added support for local
macros and things like that...

* Re: Jump to autoconf macro documentation
@ 2011-02-01 15:24     ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-02-01 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 01.02.2011 1:19, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> Stefan Monnier<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>  writes:
>
>>> So I found that the definition of every macro is given in the autoconf
>>> Info page, for example under with the string:
>>
>>> Macro: AC_ARG_ENABLE
>>
>> There's a general infrastructure in Emacs to jump from a use to its
>> Info documentation.  It's bound to C-h S and is called info-lookup-symbol.
>> There is support for Autoconf's manual in it, so it should work.
>> If not, please M-x report-emacs-bug.
>>

>>          Stefan
>
> Auch didn't know it, there's always one more feature to find out ;)
>
> It works quite well yes, but it could be still added support for local
> macros and things like that...

You can use TAGS file for local definition...