all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem with grep in Emacs 23.2
@ 2010-09-06 11:32 Shenli Zhu
From: Shenli Zhu @ 2010-09-06 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In Emacs 23.1, to grep,
(1) M-x grep,
(2) change grep-command "grep -i -nH -e \"re\" -r \"/home/username/\"
--include=\"*.*\"" to what I want.
All works well.

But in Emacs 23.2, after step(1), Emacs will fork a grep subprocess which
take all CPU resource and I have to kill it.

I trace the code, there is a function grep-compute-defaults, seems to check
the system info and set some initial values. It will call grep-probe to run
some small test(grep English in the file Hello in Emacs).

But my grep-command cause Emacs/grep-probe into a non responsive state.

I don't want to change grep-command, how can I skip grep-probe?

Thanks,
Davy

* Re: Problem with grep in Emacs 23.2
@ 2010-09-06 20:04 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-09-06 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shenli Zhu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.09.2010 um 13:32 schrieb Shenli Zhu:

> (2) change grep-command "grep -i -nH -e \"re\" -r \"/home/username/\"
> --include=\"*.*\"" to what I want.

Does this work from the command line? (I'd use ' instead of \" to
prevent the shell from expanding the meta-characters ``*´´ or ``.´´,
which could cause the failure you observe.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Spam will be a thing of the past in two years' time.
				– Bill Gates, Jan 2004

* Re: Problem with grep in Emacs 23.2
@ 2010-09-07  0:22   ` Shenli Zhu
From: Shenli Zhu @ 2010-09-07  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Peter,

Do you mean the grep-command I set should be runnable in shell? I just use
grep-command to store the grep template, so it cannot be run in shell.

Why we need probe-grep? To test whether grep exists and whether its function
works correctly? Can I skip it?

Thanks

@ 2010-09-07  0:24     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-09-07  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shenli Zhu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 2:22 AM, Shenli Zhu <zhushenli2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Do you mean the grep-command I set should be runnable in shell? I just use
> grep-command to store the grep template, so it cannot be run in shell.
>
> Why we need probe-grep? To test whether grep exists and whether its function
> works correctly? Can I skip it?

probe-grep tries to find out what grep program you actually use and
what it can do. So, yes, you can skip it if you know what the program
can do.

* Re: Problem with grep in Emacs 23.2
@ 2010-09-07  1:05       ` Shenli Zhu
From: Shenli Zhu @ 2010-09-07  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Lennart, how to skip grep-probe/grep-compute-defaults (add hook or
change variable)?

Thanks

@ 2010-09-07  1:24         ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-09-07  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shenli Zhu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Use customize to set the needed values, for example:

  M-x customize RET grep-use-null-device RET

@ 2010-09-07  1:50           ` Shenli Zhu
       [not found]             ` <mailman.0.1283844542.27325.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Shenli Zhu @ 2010-09-07  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart, thank you,

I set grep-use-null-device to nil, but the problem still happen.

Maybe I shall trace the code to find how to avoid grep-probe. There is no
switch to turn off (grep-compute-defaults) in grep, because different
versions of grep. But I think most of people work on Linux and Gnu grep. So
why not have a switch tell it do not compute defaults?

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Lennart Borgman

@ 2010-09-07  7:28             ` Shenli Zhu
       [not found]             ` <mailman.0.1283844542.27325.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Shenli Zhu @ 2010-09-07  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Set grep-use-null-device to t, problem solved.

@ 2010-10-01  2:04               ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2010-10-01  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.0.1283844542.27325.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Shenli Zhu  <zhushenli2@gmail.com> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>Set grep-use-null-device to t, problem solved.
>
>On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Shenli Zhu <zhushenli2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Lennart, thank you,
>>
>> I set grep-use-null-device to nil, but the problem still happen.
>>
>> Maybe I shall trace the code to find how to avoid grep-probe. There is no
>> switch to turn off (grep-compute-defaults) in grep, because different
>> versions of grep. But I think most of people work on Linux and Gnu grep. So
>> why not have a switch tell it do not compute defaults?
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Use customize to set the needed values, for example:
>>>
>>>  M-x customize RET grep-use-null-device RET

>>> lennart.borgman@gmail.com>

>>> just
>>> shell.

>[Alternative: text/html]

Hi -- I just came across this thread.  This M-x grep problem is
a bug that you guys have now fixed in the sources, etc?

Or is this something that, when I start using it, each of will
have to do that fix ourselves?

Or what.  Am just a little confused.

THANKS!

David