Thank you all for your help! I did the C-x X-f ~/.emacs, and it worked! Thanks again, Matt On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Vagn Johansen wrote: > Michel Chassey writes: > > > Also setting an environement variable called HOME = > > c:\path\to\my\preferred\etc. in My Computer system will enable emacs to > find > > it just about anywhere on C: ? > > After setting HOME you can load .emacs via > > C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET > > Note the ~ which represents "home" > > -- > Vagn Johansen > -- Seven Deadly Sins (Gandhi): - Wealth without work - Politics without principle - Pleasure without conscience - Commerce without morality - Science without humanity - Worship without sacrifice - Knowledge without character