I'm no Emacs expert, but from a quick look at the documentation for with-timeout it looks like you should use: (with-timeout (4) (load remote-.emacs)) What actually happens when you do that? Nothing at all? Waits longer than four seconds? On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Ali Pang wrote: > > Hi, > > I'd like to load my .emacs from a remote location if possible. The problem > is I'm on windows, and the time-out before recognizing that the file is > unavailable is ridiculously long (minutes). Thus if the file is > unavailable, > emacs blocks for a long time at startup. I've tried basically doing > > (if (with-timeout (4) > (file-exists-p remote-.emacs)) > (load remote-.emacs)) > > but I guess with-timeout does not do what I want. Any ideas about what I > could use instead? > -- > View this message in context: > http://old.nabble.com/Timeout-for-reading-file-across-network-tp29604481p29604481.html > Sent from the Emacs - Help mailing list archive at Nabble.com. > > >