On 5 August 2010 23:38, Óscar Fuentes wrote: > Whatever you decide, please consider allowing for some colorized > clue. Associating background faces to VC states, for instance, so the > user can customize "green for unmodified, red for modified" etc. > > I guess that asking for images would be too contentious ;-) For a while now, I've been using the following customization to display a green circle for an unmodified file and an orange square for a modified one (versus the repository, I mean): (setq-default mode-line-format '(... (vc-mode (:eval (vc-icon))) ...) ;; Display a coloured square indicating the vc status of the current file (defun vc-icon () (let ((icon (if (vc-workfile-unchanged-p (buffer-file-name)) "in-vc.png" "modified-vc.png")) (bg (face-attribute 'mode-line :background))) (propertize " " 'display (find-image `((:type png :file ,icon :ascent center :background ,bg)))))) It relies on the attached two PNG images (I presume sending attachments to this mailing list works; if not, email me and I'll place them on imgur or somewhere similar).