all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#7013: 23.2; Emacs frame hangs when setting fullscreen parameter to the same current value
@ 2010-09-11 16:37 Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2010-09-11 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7013

Hi there,

My Emacs frame hangs after doing the following:
1.- Start emacs with "emacs -Q"
2.- Evaluate the Elisp sentence "(set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen
'maximized)". (this first time the frame gets maximized, OK).
3.- Repeat step (2). --> Now my emacs frame hangs! (C-x C-c still works)

Repeating the maximize sentence didn't have too much sense at that
point, because the frame was already maximized, but hanging is not
like the best behaviour anyway.

That same hanging occurs using other values for 'fullscreen (fullboth,
fullwith, fullheight).

That's all. Thank you.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-07-31 on jesus-desktop
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10706000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: es_ES.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

* bug#7013: 23.2; Emacs frame hangs when setting fullscreen parameter to the same current value
@ 2010-09-12 13:30 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-09-12 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dani Moncayo; +Cc: 7013

Dani Moncayo skrev 2010-09-11 18.37:
> Hi there,
>
> My Emacs frame hangs after doing the following:
> 1.- Start emacs with "emacs -Q"
> 2.- Evaluate the Elisp sentence "(set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen
> 'maximized)". (this first time the frame gets maximized, OK).
> 3.- Repeat step (2). -->  Now my emacs frame hangs! (C-x C-c still works)
>
> Repeating the maximize sentence didn't have too much sense at that
> point, because the frame was already maximized, but hanging is not
> like the best behaviour anyway.
>
> That same hanging occurs using other values for 'fullscreen (fullboth,
> fullwith, fullheight).
>
> That's all. Thank you.

This is really a bug in Gtk+ and/or your window manager.  Sending many client
messages to change the state seems to throw them off somehow.  For example,
the Lucid build has no problems. Sometimes you can make the window responsive
again by iconifying it an restoring it.  Also, if you have several frames, you
can switch to another frame and that frame works as normal.  Some events are
not getting through to the maximized frame, because Gtk+ or the window manager
is waiting for something.

That said, I made a change so we don't do anything if the requested state is
the same as the current.  Also, I reduced the number of client messages.

This is in the emacs-23 branch.  It will propagate to the trunk.

	Jan D.