The rcirc logging facility doesn't play nicely when it comes to writing process buffers (or "server buffers") to disk on Windows systems. The generated log filenames contain asterisks which are not allowed on Windows systems. This makes rcirc and Emacs as a whole unusable when rcirc-log-flag is non-nil, i.e. when logging to disk is turned on. Emacs just messages errors in the echo area when this happens and you can't easily stop it. Attached is a patch which introduces a new function and a new customizable variable. rcirc-generate-log-filename is the function which takes care of generating filenames for rcirc buffer logs. It is now the default instead of the old rcirc-generate-new-buffer-name. rcirc-log-process-buffers is the new variable which decides whether or not to log process buffers to disk at all. I get the feeling that not that many people are interested in logging this as it rarely contains any useful information that you would want to store. Nevertheless, the variable is non-nil by default which turns on process buffer logging. The setup I'm using by the way: In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-08-02 on 3249CTO Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600 configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/xpm/include' -- Deniz Dogan