all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* apropos-documentation fails all the time
@ 2010-12-30 20:55 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-30 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

quick question: every time I try apropos-documentation, I get a
wrong-type-argument error:

,----
| Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp format)
|   insert-file-contents(format)
|   apropos-documentation-check-elc-file(format)
|   apropos-documentation-internal((format "%s (local)" nil))
|   #[(symbol) "\306\b!.\b\307N\211.\250\203.

* Re: apropos-documentation fails all the time
@ 2010-12-30 21:33 ` Tim X
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5.1293750501.12460.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2010-12-30 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hello,
>
> quick question: every time I try apropos-documentation, I get a
> wrong-type-argument error:
>
> ,----
> | Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp format)
> |   insert-file-contents(format)
> |   apropos-documentation-check-elc-file(format)
> |   apropos-documentation-internal((format "%s (local)" nil))
> |   #[(symbol) "\306\b!.\b\307N\211.\250\203.

I cannot reproduce this in emacs 24.0.50 (dev version from bzr). What
version of emacs and what is the argument you are passing to the
command?

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* RE: apropos-documentation fails all the time
@ 2010-12-30 23:07   ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5.1293750501.12460.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-12-30 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tim X', help-gnu-emacs

> I cannot reproduce this in emacs 24.0.50 (dev version from bzr). What
> version of emacs and what is the argument you are passing to the
> command?

And always give a recipe: how did you invoke it - interactively or from Lisp?
What is your value of `apropos-do-all'? etc.

And if you think there is a bug, as opposed to asking a question about how to
use it, then consider filing a bug report: M-x report-emacs-bug.

@ 2010-12-31  1:08     ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]       ` <mailman.10.1293760826.12460.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-31  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I cannot reproduce this in emacs 24.0.50 (dev version from bzr). What
>> version of emacs and what is the argument you are passing to the
>> command?
>
> And always give a recipe: how did you invoke it - interactively or from Lisp?
> What is your value of `apropos-do-all'? etc.
>
> And if you think there is a bug, as opposed to asking a question about how to
> use it, then consider filing a bug report: M-x report-emacs-bug.

Thanks both of you for responding.  My apologies: my original posting,
which had the necessary information, got truncated.

I am using emacs 23.2.1 from Debian testing.  apropos-do-all is t.  The
error occurs regardless of what I pass to apropos-documentation,
interactively typically; e.g.

   C-h d .*documentation.* RET

gives the error as does any string really, whether a regex or not.

I will report a bug if nobody can suggest anything that can alleviate
this problem.  Or I may try to install one of the 24.x snapshots, I
guess.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1 + No Gnus v0.11

* RE: apropos-documentation fails all the time
@ 2010-12-31  2:00       ` Drew Adams
       [not found]       ` <mailman.10.1293760826.12460.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-12-31  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eric S Fraga', help-gnu-emacs

> I am using emacs 23.2.1 from Debian testing.  apropos-do-all
> is t.  The error occurs regardless of what I pass to
> apropos-documentation, interactively typically; e.g.
>    C-h d .*documentation.* RET
> gives the error as does any string really, whether a regex or not.
> I will report a bug if nobody can suggest anything that can alleviate
> this problem.

Yes, please report a bug. I assume you started from emacs -Q.

With emacs 23.2.1 I cannot reproduce it:
GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1

@ 2011-01-01  4:33         ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2011-01-01  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I am using emacs 23.2.1 from Debian testing.  apropos-do-all
>> is t.  The error occurs regardless of what I pass to
>> apropos-documentation, interactively typically; e.g.
>>    C-h d .*documentation.* RET
>> gives the error as does any string really, whether a regex or not.
>> I will report a bug if nobody can suggest anything that can alleviate
>> this problem.
>
> Yes, please report a bug. I assume you started from emacs -Q.
>
> With emacs 23.2.1 I cannot reproduce it:
> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1

I cannot reproduce it either using emacs 24.0.50. Note that Drew's
comment regarding running with -Q and seeing if the problem exists is
critical. This will tell you if it is a bug in the core emacs program or
from something in your .emacs or an additional package that has been
installed

Tim

--

@ 2011-01-01 21:01         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-01 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[...]

> Yes, please report a bug. I assume you started from emacs -Q.

<blush>
No, I haven't.  I'll try that and will get back to you.
</blush>

Thanks,
eric

--

@ 2011-01-01 21:48           ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]           ` <mailman.13.1293918601.32515.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-01 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Yes, please report a bug. I assume you started from emacs -Q.
>
> <blush>
> No, I haven't.  I'll try that and will get back to you.
> </blush>
>
> Thanks,
> eric

Well, embarrassingly, C-h d works just fine with emacs -Q so something
in my customisation is obviously causing a problem.  I now need to go
through my rather extensive customisation to see what the problem is.
Any hints/suggestions more than welcome, of course.

Thanks and sorry for the noise.

eric

--

@ 2011-01-01 21:49           ` Drew Adams
       [not found]           ` <mailman.13.1293918601.32515.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-01-01 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eric S Fraga', help-gnu-emacs

> > Yes, please report a bug. I assume you started from emacs -Q.
>
> No, I haven't.  I'll try that and will get back to you.

If the problem doesn't occur for emacs -Q, the way to narrow it down is to
bifurcate your init file (.emacs) by commenting out half (or evaling only half),
then 1/4 (3/4), 1/8 (7/8), etc.  It's much quicker than it sounds, and it is
systematic - it's always much better than hit-and-miss guessing.

@ 2011-01-02 19:39             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-02 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> > Yes, please report a bug. I assume you started from emacs -Q.
>>
>> No, I haven't.  I'll try that and will get back to you.
>
> If the problem doesn't occur for emacs -Q, the way to narrow it down is to
> bifurcate your init file (.emacs) by commenting out half (or evaling only half),
> then 1/4 (3/4), 1/8 (7/8), etc.  It's much quicker than it sounds, and it is
> systematic - it's always much better than hit-and-miss guessing.

Thanks.  Bisection indeed was going to be my first approach if no
obvious places to look at were suggested.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1 + No Gnus v0.11

* delete-selection-mode on viper
@ 2011-01-07  1:29             ` Maindoor
       [not found]               ` <mailman.4.1294388284.2099.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Maindoor @ 2011-01-07  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am using viper in emacs, as I come from a vim background.
When using regular emacs delete-selection-mode works fine,
but when I use the viper mode, the paste does not work as
expected. I'm sure others would have faced this issue too,
any suggestions on how to workaround this ?

* Re: delete-selection-mode on viper
@ 2011-01-07  8:17               ` Le Wang
       [not found]               ` <mailman.4.1294388284.2099.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Le Wang @ 2011-01-07  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maindoor; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Here are steps I would take to try to trouble-shoot in Emacs.

emacs -Q
<C-h>fdelete-selection-mode
<C-x>o<tab><enter>

Reading commentary at beginning of source ...

This seems promising:

;; Commands which will delete the selection need a 'delete-selection
;; property on their symbols; commands which insert text but don't
;; have this property won't delete the selection.

google "emacs how to set property on command"

Find out

put is a built-in function in `C source code'.

(put SYMBOL PROPNAME VALUE)

Store SYMBOL's PROPNAME property with value VALUE.
It can be retrieved with `(get SYMBOL PROPNAME)'.

Fire up viper mode (I don't use it).

<C-h>k[paste key cord]

Jot down what the command name.  Try something like:

(put '[viper-paste-func]  'delete-selection t)

<C-x><C-e>

See if it worked.  If it did, add the "(put ..." line to your .emacs.el

--
Le

* Re: apropos-documentation fails all the time
@ 2011-01-12 11:15           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-12 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
>>> I am using emacs 23.2.1 from Debian testing.  apropos-do-all
>>> is t.  The error occurs regardless of what I pass to
>>> apropos-documentation, interactively typically; e.g.
>>>    C-h d .*documentation.* RET
>>> gives the error as does any string really, whether a regex or not.
>>> I will report a bug if nobody can suggest anything that can alleviate
>>> this problem.
>>
>> Yes, please report a bug. I assume you started from emacs -Q.
>>
>> With emacs 23.2.1 I cannot reproduce it:
>> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
>>

> I cannot reproduce it either using emacs 24.0.50. Note that Drew's
> comment regarding running with -Q and seeing if the problem exists is
> critical. This will tell you if it is a bug in the core emacs program or
> from something in your .emacs or an additional package that has been
> installed
>
> Tim

Just to give an update on this problem:

- with emacs -Q, I can load up my initialisation files (.emacs and all
  the bits it refers to) and there are no problems: C-h d works just
  fine.

- with emacs -q, the error reappears.

If I set apropos-do-all to nil, everything works fine (although I
obviously lose the functionality provided by this setting).  There is
something in my site wide initialisation that is conflicting with
apropos-do-all obviously.  Unfortunately, I have way too many packages
(all from Debian repositories, mind you) to even begin figuring out
where to look.

Any further suggestions are more than welcome but, at least, for the
time being I can put up without apropos-do-all.

Thanks again,
eric

--

@ 2011-01-12 15:16             ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-01-12 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eric S Fraga', help-gnu-emacs

> There is
> something in my site wide initialisation that is conflicting with
> apropos-do-all obviously.  Unfortunately, I have way too many packages
> (all from Debian repositories, mind you) to even begin figuring out
> where to look.

Treat your site-wide initialization like you would treat your .emacs.

Use emacs -Q, but copy your top-level site init file locally.  Load that file
explicitly, when you start Emacs up (e.g. -l switch, or M-x load-file after
startup), but first comment-out half of the file.  Then comment out 1/4, then
1/8,... until you find what part of the site init file is problematic.  Binary
search that way is very quick.

Then report the problem to your site admin or if you have permissions fix it
yourself.

* Re: apropos-documentation fails all the time
@ 2011-01-13  1:31             ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2011-01-13  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

>>> Yes, please report a bug. I assume you started from emacs -Q.
>>>
>>> With emacs 23.2.1 I cannot reproduce it:
>>> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
>>>

>> I cannot reproduce it either using emacs 24.0.50. Note that Drew's
>> comment regarding running with -Q and seeing if the problem exists is
>> critical. This will tell you if it is a bug in the core emacs program or
>> from something in your .emacs or an additional package that has been
>> installed
>>
>> Tim
>
> Just to give an update on this problem:
>

> - with emacs -Q, I can load up my initialisation files (.emacs and all
>   the bits it refers to) and there are no problems: C-h d works just
>   fine.
>
> - with emacs -q, the error reappears.
>

> If I set apropos-do-all to nil, everything works fine (although I
> obviously lose the functionality provided by this setting).  There is
> something in my site wide initialisation that is conflicting with
> apropos-do-all obviously.  Unfortunately, I have way too many packages
> (all from Debian repositories, mind you) to even begin figuring out
> where to look.
>
> Any further suggestions are more than welcome but, at least, for the
> time being I can put up without apropos-do-all.
>
> Thanks again,
> eric

It appears emacs support under Debina/Ubuntu does not have enough people
work9ing on it to keep tings up-to-date. I've noticed an increasing
number of packages that are either behind the latest stable upstream
releases or have had significant bugs outstanding for quite some time.
Ubuntu emacs support seems particularly lacking (they are still shipping
23.1 as the latest version).

My recommendation is to ensure you only have those emacs add-on packages
installed that you actually use. It is very easy to end up with a whole
heap of pacakges you don't need and don't use that only add problems,
especially if they are behind upstream stable versions.

I would also seriously consider just managing things yourself. Most
people only use a handful of add-on packages and once you get a workflow
setup, it is very easy to manage them. Life is likely to become even
easier since emacs 24 will include support for the emacs package
archive and you wil be able to install many packages from within emacs
via a simple command.

Tim

--

@ 2012-09-11  2:37                 ` s.sanjeevkumar
From: s.sanjeevkumar @ 2012-09-11  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Maindoor, help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, January 7, 2011 7:17:58 PM UTC+11, Le Wang wrote:
> Here are steps I would take to try to trouble-shoot in Emacs.
>

> emacs -Q<C-h>fdelete-selection-mode
> <C-x>o<tab><enter>
>

> Reading commentary at beginning of source ...
>

> This seems promising:
>

> ;; Commands which will delete the selection need a 'delete-selection
> ;; property on their symbols; commands which insert text but don't
> ;; have this property won't delete the selection.
>

> google "emacs how to set property on command"
>

> Find out
>

> put is a built-in function in `C source code'.
>

> (put SYMBOL PROPNAME VALUE)
>

> Store SYMBOL's PROPNAME property with value VALUE.
>

> It can be retrieved with `(get SYMBOL PROPNAME)'.
>

> Fire up viper mode (I don't use it).
>

> <C-h>k[paste key cord]
>

> Jot down what the command name.  Try something like:
>

> (put '[viper-paste-func]  'delete-selection t)
>

> <C-x><C-e>
>

> See if it worked.  If it did, add the "(put ..." line to your .emacs.el
>

> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Maindoor <sanjee...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> I am using viper in emacs, as I come from a vim background.
>
> When using regular emacs delete-selection-mode works fine,
>
> but when I use the viper mode, the paste does not work as
>
> expected. I'm sure others would have faced this issue too,
>
> any suggestions on how to workaround this ?
>

> Thanks,

> --
> Le

Thanks Le. Yes it worked.