all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* could mark-paragraph scroll the window?
@ 2010-12-29 22:03 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-12-29 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there any chance that mark-paragraph (which marks consecutive
paragraphs when used repeatedly) could scroll the window once the
marking extends below the visible area? I find this command very useful,
but not being able to see where it's going is very limiting.

Could I make a local version that does what I want?

Thanks
Eric

* Re: could mark-paragraph scroll the window?
@ 2011-01-04  7:18 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2011-01-04  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12/29/10 3:03 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Is there any chance that mark-paragraph (which marks consecutive
> paragraphs when used repeatedly) could scroll the window once the
> marking extends below the visible area? I find this command very useful,
> but not being able to see where it's going is very limiting.
>
> Could I make a local version that does what I want?

Perhaps something like this:

(defadvice mark-paragraph (after region-end-visible activate)
   "When called interactively, temporarily display the end of the marked region
if it is not visible in the selected window."
   (when (and (called-interactively-p 'any)
	     ;; (eq this-command last-command)
	     (not (pos-visible-in-window-p (region-end))))
     (exchange-point-and-mark)
     (sit-for 1)
     (exchange-point-and-mark)))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: could mark-paragraph scroll the window?
@ 2011-01-04 13:35   ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-01-04 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Kevin Rodgers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2011/1/4 Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com>:
> On 12/29/10 3:03 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>>
>> Is there any chance that mark-paragraph (which marks consecutive
>> paragraphs when used repeatedly) could scroll the window once the
>> marking extends below the visible area? I find this command very useful,
>> but not being able to see where it's going is very limiting.
>>
>> Could I make a local version that does what I want?
>
> Perhaps something like this:
>
> (defadvice mark-paragraph (after region-end-visible activate)
>  "When called interactively, temporarily display the end of the marked
> region
> if it is not visible in the selected window."
>  (when (and (called-interactively-p 'any)
>             ;; (eq this-command last-command)
>             (not (pos-visible-in-window-p (region-end))))
>    (exchange-point-and-mark)
>    (sit-for 1)
>    (exchange-point-and-mark)))

This code works very strangely when I try it.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: could mark-paragraph scroll the window?
@ 2011-01-11  0:20     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2011-01-11  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 1/4/11 6:35 AM, Deniz Dogan wrote:
> 2011/1/4 Kevin Rodgers<kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com>:
>> On 12/29/10 3:03 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there any chance that mark-paragraph (which marks consecutive
>>> paragraphs when used repeatedly) could scroll the window once the
>>> marking extends below the visible area? I find this command very useful,
>>> but not being able to see where it's going is very limiting.
>>>
>>> Could I make a local version that does what I want?
>>
>> Perhaps something like this:
>>
>> (defadvice mark-paragraph (after region-end-visible activate)
>>   "When called interactively, temporarily display the end of the marked
>> region
>> if it is not visible in the selected window."
>>   (when (and (called-interactively-p 'any)
>>              ;; (eq this-command last-command)
>>              (not (pos-visible-in-window-p (region-end))))
>>     (exchange-point-and-mark)
>>     (sit-for 1)
>>     (exchange-point-and-mark)))
>>

> This code works very strangely when I try it.

Glad to hear that it works.  :-)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA