all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* set window width
@ 2010-06-11 20:17 Dimitrios Apostolou
From: Dimitrios Apostolou @ 2010-06-11 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello list,

when working with emacs I usually have one (or more) frame maximised and I
split vertically in as many windows as possible. However after splitting I
want to set width to exactly 80 columns, so that I can split as many fit.

I've been searching for some M-x set-window-width function but I can't
find anything. The closer solution I've found is

   M-x set-variable window-min-width 80

and then drag the fringe with the mouse. That's suboptimal imho. Any
better ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dimitris

* Re: set window width
@ 2010-06-11 22:33 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-06-11 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dimitrios Apostolou; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Dimitrios Apostolou <jimis@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> when working with emacs I usually have one (or more) frame maximised and I
> split vertically in as many windows as possible. However after splitting I
> want to set width to exactly 80 columns, so that I can split as many fit.
>
> I've been searching for some M-x set-window-width function but I can't find
> anything. The closer solution I've found is
>
>  M-x set-variable window-min-width 80
>
> and then drag the fringe with the mouse. That's suboptimal imho. Any better
> ideas?

The latest version of winsize.el in nXhtml has something that I think
fit your need (in the function resize-windows). But that version is
just in the repository yet.

* Re: set window width
@ 2010-06-11 22:36 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-06-11 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dimitrios Apostolou; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.06.2010 um 22:17 schrieb Dimitrios Apostolou:

> Any better ideas?

Resetting initial- or default-frame-alist could work.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget
cuts.

* Re: set window width
@ 2010-06-14  8:37   ` Dimitrios Apostolou
From: Dimitrios Apostolou @ 2010-06-14  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Dimitrios Apostolou <jimis@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> when working with emacs I usually have one (or more) frame maximised and I
>> split vertically in as many windows as possible. However after splitting I
>> want to set width to exactly 80 columns, so that I can split as many fit.
>>
>> I've been searching for some M-x set-window-width function but I can't find
>> anything. The closer solution I've found is
>>
>>  M-x set-variable window-min-width 80
>>
>> and then drag the fringe with the mouse. That's suboptimal imho. Any better
>> ideas?
>
> The latest version of winsize.el in nXhtml has something that I think
> fit your need (in the function resize-windows). But that version is
> just in the repository yet.

Thanks, I just installed winsize.el together with ourcomments-widgets.el
and indeed, resize-windows is a very nice function! It would be very
useful if it showed the size at the bottom, e.g. 50x80, while resizing.
You think it's easy to add this?

Thanks,
Dimitris

* Re: set window width
@ 2010-06-14  9:46     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-06-14  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dimitrios Apostolou; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Dimitrios Apostolou <jimis@gmx.net> wrote:

> Thanks, I just installed winsize.el together with ourcomments-widgets.el and
> indeed, resize-windows is a very nice function! It would be very useful if
> it showed the size at the bottom, e.g. 50x80, while resizing. You think it's
> easy to add this?

Yes, it is quite easy.

A real quick fix would be to just tweak winsize-short-help-message a
bit, but I do not think it would work very well.

A better solution is to just take the code in sml-modeline.el (also in
nXhtml) and copy that to a new library and display the size in the
mode line. If you do that I will be glad to include it in winsize.el.