all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Retrieve a web page into buffer and insert some text into it.
@ 2010-07-28 15:36 ken
From: ken @ 2010-07-28 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How would I fetch a web page into a new buffer, then programmatically
insert some text into it?  (Of course subsequently saving the buffer to
a file may done interactively.)

I know a little elisp, but not yet the polished programmer (as this
nonfunctioning code shows):

load url.el

(defun www-edit-web-page (url)
  "Retrieve web page and load into new buffer for editing.
Automatically insert after <body> tag URL, appropriately html-tagged URL."
  (interactive "sLoad URL: "
  (with-temp-buffer (url-retrieve url edit-web-page))))

(defun edit-web-page (status)
      "Switch to the buffer returned by `url-retreive'.
    The buffer should contain the web page sent by the server."
      (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer))
    (goto-char 0)
    (re-search-forward "<body.*>" nil t) ;go to end of <body ...> tag.
    ;insert URL into page, properly html-coded.

--
Find research and analysis on US healthcare, health insurance,
and health policy at: <http://healthpolicydaily.blogspot.com/>

* Re: Retrieve a web page into buffer and insert some text into it.
@ 2010-07-28 15:46 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-07-28 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gebser; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

See the thread about getting the title of a web page.

@ 2010-07-28 23:46 ` ken
From: ken @ 2010-07-28 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs List

Lennart suggested I use a different defun, url-copy-file.  I tried that
instead, but it didn't work.  But then I went back to my original code,
moved a single parenthesis and... it worked... mostly.  Here's the code:

------------------------ start ---------------------------
load url.el

(defun www-edit-web-page (url)
  "Retrieve web page and load into new buffer for editing.
Automatically insert after <body> tag URL, appropriately html-tagged URL."
  (interactive "sLoad URL: ")
  (with-temp-buffer (url-retrieve url 'edit-web-page)))

(defun edit-web-page (status)
      "Switch to the buffer returned by `url-retreive'.
    The buffer should contain the web page sent by the server."
      (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer))
    (goto-char 0)
    (re-search-forward "<body.*>" nil t) ;go to end of <body ...> tag.
    ;insert URL into page

------------------------ ende ---------------------------

This properly fetches the web page and loads it into a new, unsaved
buffer (exactly what I want), but the last line in the second defun
doesn't execute.  The error messages are telling me that edit-web-page
doesn't know the value of "url".  So how do I pass this variable-- with
its assignment from www-edit-web-page to edit-web-page?  (I have a
guess, but i'm more a C/bash/blah/blah/blah guy, so elisp is a bit
mysterious.)

* Re: Retrieve a web page into buffer and insert some text into it.
@ 2010-07-29 15:22   ` filebat Mark
From: filebat Mark @ 2010-07-29 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs List, gebser

Hi Ken

Where do you set the value of url in the second function?

One big enhancement shall be setting the coding system of the temp buffer,
based on the charset of the html page.

Regards,
Denny

--
Thanks & Regards

Denny Zhang

* Re: Retrieve a web page into buffer and insert some text into it.
@ 2010-07-29 20:01     ` ken
       [not found]       ` <AANLkTi=7Y3=H1CeY_OvKZWwZp4R1JwpJCJQ20OMHTEKu@mail.gmail.com>
From: ken @ 2010-07-29 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs List

On 07/29/2010 11:22 AM filebat Mark wrote:
> Hi Ken

Hi, Denny.  Thanks for replying

> Where do you set the value of url in the second function?

It needs to be passed from the first defun, but I don't know the syntax
for doing that.  The url-retrieve function is a little complex in terms
of its arguments.  I think it's stumped even the experts on this list.

> One big enhancement shall be setting the coding system of the temp
> buffer, based on the charset of the html page.

Thanks for bringing that up.  Yeah, I followed that on your thread.  I
might have to deal with that too.  If, after I get the main part of my
code working how I want it, I find it's having that problem, I'll review
your emails (which I still have) and perhaps get back to you for some tips.

> Regards,
> Denny

Back at ya!
ken

@ 2010-07-30 11:23         ` ken
From: ken @ 2010-07-30 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs List

Thanks, Denny.  I got the args working right, so it's basically working.
 So now I'm on to another issue: the re-search-forward function.  Again,
it's a syntax thing.

As the code suggests, I'm looking for the html opening body tag.  That
text could be as simple as "<body>", but could also be:

<
 BodY
 fgcolor="hazel"

I thought this would work:

(re-search-forward "<\s*[bB][oO][dD][yY]\s.*>" nil t)

but apparently "\s" is being treated as a literal and not as
representing [whitespace].  Also, it doesn't seem that elisp has a
function for doing a case-insensitive RE search.

@ 2010-07-30 16:32           ` filebat Mark
From: filebat Mark @ 2010-07-30 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gebser; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

(setq case-fold-search t), then re-search-forward is case insensitive.

To leverage your effort, can you post your code for the sample of args
parameter.

--
Thanks & Regards

Denny Zhang

* Re: Retrieve a web page into buffer and insert some text into it.
@ 2010-07-30 16:51             ` filebat Mark
From: filebat Mark @ 2010-07-30 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gebser; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

Does the below solve your problem?

(defun match-web-body()
  (interactive)
   (setq case-fold-search t);;Make searches case insensitive
   (goto-char 0)
   (re-search-forward "\\(< *\n* *body\n* +fgcolor=\".*\" *\n*>\\)" nil t 1)
   (setq match_str (match-string 1))
   (message match_str)
)

--
Thanks & Regards

Denny Zhang

* Re: Retrieve a web page into buffer and insert some text into it.
@ 2010-07-30 17:00               ` filebat Mark
From: filebat Mark @ 2010-07-30 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gebser; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

Below is the revised version. A little ugly, but more precise.
   (re-search-forward
"\\(<[[:blank:]]*\n*[[:blank:]]*body[[:blank:]]*\n*[[:blank:]]*fgcolor[[:blank:]]*=\".*\"[[:blank:]]*\n*[[:blank:]]*>\\)"
nil t 1)

--
Thanks & Regards

Denny Zhang

* Re: Retrieve a web page into buffer and insert some text into it.
@ 2010-07-30 17:12               ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2010-07-30 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: filebat Mark; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

* 2010-07-31 00:51 (+0800), filebat Mark wrote:

> Does the below solve your problem?

I don't know but I'll comment your code in general.

> (defun match-web-body()
>   (interactive)
>    (setq case-fold-search t);;Make searches case insensitive
>    (goto-char 0)
>    (re-search-forward "\\(< *\n* *body\n* +fgcolor=\".*\" *\n*>\\)" nil t 1)
>    (setq match_str (match-string 1))
>    (message match_str)
> )

If you want to set case-fold-search or other state-changing variable for
certain operation create a local binding for the variable, do not assign
new value to the existing binding. In other words, do not do this:

    (setq case-fold-search t)
    (re-search-forward ...)

Do this instead:

    (let ((case-fold-search t))
      (re-search-forward ...))

Also, do not introduce new global variables in functions like you did
here:

>    (setq match_str (match-string 1))
>    (message match_str)

In that case there is no need for the variable at all. It could be
written like this:

    (message "%s" (match-string 1))

But even if you needed a variable you shouldn't introduce it with SETQ
but create a local binding with LET:

    (let ((match-str (match-string 1)))
      (message "%s" match-str)
      ;; Plus other uses of the variable
      )

In short, keep things local.

* Re: Retrieve a web page into buffer and insert some text into it.
@ 2010-07-31  2:05                 ` filebat Mark
From: filebat Mark @ 2010-07-31  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: GNU Emacs List