all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* The old tramp recursive load
@ 2010-09-25 21:56 Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-09-25 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Why does the recursive loading problem in tramp occur? What is the
definitive fix for it? How do I *really* turn off tramp-mode entirely?

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: The old tramp recursive load
@ 2010-09-26  9:09 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2010-09-26  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:

> Why does the recursive loading problem in tramp occur? What is the
> definitive fix for it?

I have tried to solve it with Tramp 2.2.0. A prerelease is contained in
Emacs 24.0.50.

> How do I *really* turn off tramp-mode entirely?

Likely (setq tramp-mode nil) in your .emacs.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: The old tramp recursive load
@ 2010-09-26  9:58   ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-09-26  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2010/9/26 Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>:
> Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Why does the recursive loading problem in tramp occur? What is the
>> definitive fix for it?
>
> I have tried to solve it with Tramp 2.2.0. A prerelease is contained in
> Emacs 24.0.50.

I use GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-09-06 on 3249CTO.

>> How do I *really* turn off tramp-mode entirely?
>
> Likely (setq tramp-mode nil) in your .emacs.

I have this in my Emacs but still get the recursive load problem from
time to time. I can't tell exactly when it happens, but the last time
I think I was in a buffer with rcirc-mode and did ido-find-file.
Extremely frustrating.

--

@ 2010-09-26 10:35     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2010-09-26 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:

> 2010/9/26 Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>:
>> Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Why does the recursive loading problem in tramp occur? What is the
>>> definitive fix for it?
>>
>> I have tried to solve it with Tramp 2.2.0. A prerelease is contained in
>> Emacs 24.0.50.
>>

> I use GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-09-06 on 3249CTO.

From the ChangeLog:

2010-09-08  Michael Albinus  <michael.albinus@gmx.de>

	Migrate to Tramp 2.2.  Rearrange load dependencies.

* Re: The old tramp recursive load
@ 2010-09-26 11:07       ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-09-26 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2010/9/26 Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>:
> Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I have tried to solve it with Tramp 2.2.0. A prerelease is contained in
>>> Emacs 24.0.50.
>>>

>> I use GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-09-06 on 3249CTO.
>
> From the ChangeLog:
>
> 2010-09-08  Michael Albinus  <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
>
>        Migrate to Tramp 2.2.  Rearrange load dependencies.

That's great, I'll just upgrade now!

Thanks

* Re: The old tramp recursive load
       [not found] <mailman.5.1285499267.18618.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-05-08 18:04 ` FredCroot
From: FredCroot @ 2011-05-08 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Michael Albinus

Deniz Dogan> That's great, I'll just upgrade now!

I had a nasty version of this after upgrading my Aquamacs to the current version, 2.2: all attempts to use Dired failed with the "recursive load" error.  Upgrading to Emacs 24 wasn't really an option for me, since the current Aquamacs is wrapped around Emacs 23.3.

However, the following seems to be a fix in the meantime: load the Tramp file explicitly in .emacs.  In my case (getting the path from the error message in *Messages*):

(load-file "/Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/tramp.elc")

* Re: The old tramp recursive load
@ 2011-05-08 18:26   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2011-05-08 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

FredCroot <hewwolff@gmail.com> writes:

> I had a nasty version of this after upgrading my Aquamacs to the
> current version, 2.2: all attempts to use Dired failed with the
> "recursive load" error.  Upgrading to Emacs 24 wasn't really an option
> for me, since the current Aquamacs is wrapped around Emacs 23.3.

How have you done the upgrade? Is there the (new) tramp-loaddefs.el,
which is generated during installation?

Best regards, Michael.