all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug in dired / dired-listing-switches
@ 2010-09-04  1:13 Allan Gottlieb
From: Allan Gottlieb @ 2010-09-04  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I tried to experiment with --group-directories-first

I set dired-listing-switches to
"--group-directories-first -gGh"

This "works" but shows the following strange behavior

Although hitting s in the dired buffer correctly switches
the sorting between "by name" and "by date", the mode line
always says "by date".

I was going to "report-emacs-bug" but wondered if my setting of dired
listing switches is invalid.  For one thing it doesn't contain -l (-g
essentially gives that).  Should I be filing a bug?
This behavior occurs with emacs -Q

thanks,
allan

* RE: bug in dired / dired-listing-switches
@ 2010-09-04  1:31 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-09-04  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Allan Gottlieb', help-gnu-emacs

> I tried to experiment with --group-directories-first
>
> I set dired-listing-switches to
> "--group-directories-first -gGh"
>
> This "works" but shows the following strange behavior
>
> Although hitting s in the dired buffer correctly switches
> the sorting between "by name" and "by date", the mode line
> always says "by date".
>
> I was going to "report-emacs-bug" but wondered if my setting of dired
> listing switches is invalid.  For one thing it doesn't contain -l (-g
> essentially gives that).  Should I be filing a bug?
> This behavior occurs with emacs -Q

The doc string of `dired-listing-switches' says that you must include `-l' - as
you probably read.  So all bets are off if you do not do that.

But especially if it "works" anyway, I would say file a bug report.  The Emacs
developers will clarify whether it is in fact a bug, and will perhaps tweak the
product or the doc based on the details you report, in the interest of clarity.

Use `M-x send-emacs-bug-report', and start from `emacs -Q'.

* RE: bug in dired / dired-listing-switches
@ 2010-09-05 16:00   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-09-05 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Allan Gottlieb', help-gnu-emacs

> Use `M-x send-emacs-bug-report', and start from `emacs -Q'.

Sorry, I meant `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
The Help menu item is `Send Bug Report'.

* Re: bug in dired / dired-listing-switches
@ 2010-09-06  0:26     ` Lei Wang
From: Lei Wang @ 2010-09-06  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Allan Gottlieb

I use emacs24, it works fine.

--
Regards,
Lei

* RE: bug in dired / dired-listing-switches
@ 2010-09-06  0:59       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-09-06  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Lei Wang'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, 'Allan Gottlieb'

> I use emacs24, it works fine.
>
> >> Use `M-x send-emacs-bug-report', and start from `emacs -Q'.
> > Sorry, I meant `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
> > The Help menu item is `Send Bug Report'.

What works fine?

The text you quoted speaks about how to report a bug.
Yes, `report-emacs-bug' works fine - in all Emacs releases.

And the bug that Allan reported (#6987) has just been fixed by Yidong Chong.

* Re: bug in dired / dired-listing-switches
@ 2010-09-06  4:31       ` Lei Wang
From: Lei Wang @ 2010-09-06  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Allan Gottlieb

In my emacs24, (setq dired-listing-switches "-l
--group-directories-first") works fine.

Sorry for confused you in the last mail.

--
Regards,
Lei