all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#7375: 23.1; Emacs does not have a word count feature
@ 2010-11-11 13:47 Matt Lee
From: Matt Lee @ 2010-11-11 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7375

Emacs is very good for editing text, but in order to count the number
of words in my article, I have to use the 'wc' command.

I feel like this should be integrated.

I would expect to be able to do M-x word-count-region and have it return
the number of words in the buffer or selection.

---
Matt Lee
Campaigns Manager
Free Software Foundation

* bug#7375: 23.1; Emacs does not have a word count feature
@ 2010-11-11 16:21 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-11-11 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lee; +Cc: 7375

Hi Matt,

Matt Lee <mattl@fsf.org> writes:

> I would expect to be able to do M-x word-count-region and have it return
> the number of words in the buffer or selection.

You already can do M-| wc RET, which is even shorter.

--
 Bastien

* bug#7375: 23.1; Emacs does not have a word count feature
@ 2010-11-11 17:03   ` Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2010-11-11 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Matt Lee, 7375

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> You already can do M-| wc RET, which is even shorter.

That solution depends on the platform. So, for example on Windows
doesn't work, because "ws" command doesn't exists.

_______

Dani.

* bug#7375: 23.1; Emacs does not have a word count feature
@ 2010-11-11 22:29 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-11-11 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lee; +Cc: 7375

Matt Lee wrote:

> I would expect to be able to do M-x word-count-region and have it return
> the number of words in the buffer or selection.

Perhaps we could install this version

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-09/msg01029.html

* bug#7375: 23.1; Emacs does not have a word count feature
@ 2010-11-11 22:46   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-11-11 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Matt Lee, 7375

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:
> Matt Lee wrote:
>
>> I would expect to be able to do M-x word-count-region and have it return
>> the number of words in the buffer or selection.
>
> Perhaps we could install this version
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-09/msg01029.html

The buffer function forgots to widen.

* bug#7375: 23.1; Emacs does not have a word count feature
@ 2010-11-11 23:57     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-11-11 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Matt Lee, 7375

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Matt Lee wrote:
>>
>>> I would expect to be able to do M-x word-count-region and have it return
>>> the number of words in the buffer or selection.
>>
>> Perhaps we could install this version
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-09/msg01029.html
>
> The buffer function forgots to widen.

No need to widen a region narrowed to (point-min) and (point-max)?

--
 Bastien

* bug#7375: 23.1; Emacs does not have a word count feature
@ 2010-11-12  0:26       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-11-12  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Matt Lee, 7375

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:57 AM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Perhaps we could install this version
>>>
>>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-09/msg01029.html
>>
>> The buffer function forgots to widen.
>
> No need to widen a region narrowed to (point-min) and (point-max)?

Those return the min/max of the narrowed buffer.

Another option than widening is just changing the doc string of
count-words-buffer.

* bug#7375: 23.1; Emacs does not have a word count feature
@ 2010-11-13  3:48   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-11-13  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7375-done

Version: 24.1