all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dictionary in emacs
@ 2010-06-16 17:35 sanalkumar mr
From: sanalkumar mr @ 2010-06-16 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,
           I am using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 in Debian squeeze.If I have to get
           the online dictionary(http://olam.in) in emacs,by executing an
M-x command or
           with the help of a function key(like F6) or when combination of
           keys are used. Is it possible to get the service without using a
browser?
           Please bear in mind that I'm a beginner, So please be mild in
your words when
           you extend your support
Sanalkumar.M.R.
Highschool Teacher
VHSS Irimpanam
Kerala,India
http://vhssirimpanam.org

--
പറയാതെ പരിഭവം നീയൊന്നു മുടി കോതി-
ക്കഴിയുമ്പൊഴായുസ്സു തീരും

* Re: dictionary in emacs
@ 2010-06-16 20:39 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-06-16 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sanalkumar mr; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

On 16 June 2010 10:35, sanalkumar mr <sanalmadatheth@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>            I am using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 in Debian squeeze.If I have to get
>            the online dictionary(http://olam.in) in emacs,by executing an
> M-x command or
>            with the help of a function key(like F6) or when combination of
>            keys are used. Is it possible to get the service without using a
> browser?
>            Please bear in mind that I'm a beginner, So please be mild in
> your words when
>            you extend your support

Are you trying to use a malayalam dictionary for spell checking? If so
you can install aspell and aspell-ml to get a malayalam dictionary.
Then you can use ispell to spell check within emacs. You can also use
flyspell if you prefer on-the-fly spell check.

On the other hand if you are using the above service to look up word
definitions then you would need to install w3m, w3m-el and w3m-img
(optional package for image support). Then you can do `M-x
w3m-browse-url' to go to that url.

> Sanalkumar.M.R.
> Highschool Teacher
> VHSS Irimpanam
> Kerala,India

Hope this was helpful.

--
Suvayu

* Re: dictionary in emacs
@ 2010-06-16 21:27 ` Andrey Torba
From: Andrey Torba @ 2010-06-16 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sanalkumar mr; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Look at my emacs module for text translation, it uses google api (json).

http://github.com/andreo/google-translator

--
Regards, Andrey

* Re: dictionary in emacs
@ 2010-06-16 21:35   ` Richard Riley
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2.1277082013.31005.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-06-16 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrey Torba <andreytorba@gmail.com> writes:

> Look at my emacs module for text translation, it uses google api (json).
>
> http://github.com/andreo/google-translator

There is also the excellent babel.el

* Re: dictionary in emacs
@ 2010-06-21  1:00     ` sanalkumar mr
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2.1277082013.31005.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: sanalkumar mr @ 2010-06-21  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I tried M-x dictionary-select-dictionary and looked for eng-mal dictionary
(English-Malayalam), but I couldn't. Is it possible to include the
English-Malayalam or Malayalam-Malayalam dictionaries there? Expecting
support, THANKS in advance.....sanal

@ 2010-06-21  2:56       ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2010-06-21  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 21, 9:00 am, sanalkumar mr <sanalmadath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried M-x dictionary-select-dictionary and looked for eng-mal dictionary
> (English-Malayalam), but I couldn't. Is it possible to include the
> English-Malayalam or Malayalam-Malayalam dictionaries there? Expecting
> support, THANKS in advance.....sanal

Since Malayalam is not one of the languages offered by Google
Translate, then no, it is not possible.  Similarly for babel.el,
neither yahoo nor freetranslation.com offer Malayalam, but since
babel.el already supports three sources for translation, it is
probably a better starting point for adding support for olam.in