all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#6787: Documentation: `kill-region' is not a primitive despite docstring assertion otherwise
@ 2010-08-03 18:43 MON KEY
From: MON KEY @ 2010-08-03 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 6787

Docstring of `kill-region' describes itself as a primitive.
With Emacs lisp's conventional context for the term "primitive" this isn't so.

,---- (documentation 'kill-region)

| {...}
|
| This is the primitive for programs to kill text (as opposed to deleting it).
|
| {...}

`----

(subrp 'kill-region)
=> nil

,---- (info "(elisp)Primitive Function Type")

| A "primitive function" is a function callable from Lisp but written in
| the C programming language.  Primitive functions are also called
| "subrs" or "built-in functions".  (The word "subr" is derived from
| "subroutine.")

`----

Problem is current throgh Bzr-100920

--
/s_P\

* bug#6787: Documentation: `kill-region' is not a primitive despite docstring assertion otherwise
@ 2010-08-14 23:22 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-08-14 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MON KEY; +Cc: 6787

> Docstring of `kill-region' describes itself as a primitive.  With
> Emacs lisp's conventional context for the term "primitive" this isn't
> so.

Thanks.  I've checked a fix into the emacs-23 branch.